Effective July 1, 2020
During the current COVID-19 (Coronavirus) outbreak, Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania is taking all necessary steps to protect the health and safety of our patients, visitors, and staff. Because regional rates of COVID-19 have continued to decline, all admitted patients are now able to have one healthy visitor daily.
The following guidelines are intended to maximize patient, visitor and staff safety for visitors who are cleared to remain at a loved one’s bedside.
- Families are encouraged to designate one person as the visitor for the duration of the patient’s hospitalization.
- All visitors will be screened at entry. Visitors with respiratory symptoms or a temperature of 99ºF or greater will not be permitted; they will be given masks and referred to appropriate medical care.
- Visitors are required to wear face coverings. Any visitor entering the hospital without a face covering will be given a mask. All visitors must wear face coverings for the entire visit.
- Visitors, once admitted, must stay in the patient room for the entire visit, although they may briefly step out of a patient room to use the restroom.
- Visitors may enter and leave the hospital once per day. If a visitor leaves the hospital, they must re-enter the next day during regular visiting hours (6am – 10pm).
- Visitors must enter and exit the hospital through the Ravdin Lobby.
Visitors will not be allowed for patients with a pending or positive COVID-19 test.
We realize that these restrictions may create challenges, and we are very sorry for any difficulties they may cause. If you have questions or concerns, please contact patient and guest relations and they can try to assist you.
When entering the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania, all patients and visitors are required to complete a health screening, which may include having your temperature checked and answering some questions about your health and any recent travel. Any visitor who is sick, has a high risk of prior exposure or has traveled from a high-risk geographical area will not be permitted to enter the hospital under any circumstances.
While you're in HUP, you may have periodic monitoring.
To help maintain a healthy environment, we are requiring all patients and visitors to wear a face covering or mask at all times within HUP. We ask that you bring your own face covering or mask to wear. If you do not have a face covering, we will provide one.
In addition to covering your face, you should practice social distancing and try to restrict your mobility as much as possible.