Ductal carcinoma in situ (DCIS) accounts for one out of every five new breast cancers. While nearly all DCIS is curable, there are many treatment options to consider. At the Abramson Cancer Center, we have the expertise to detect and diagnose small tumors in the earliest stages. Our specialized breast cancer team then works with you to create an individualized treatment plan.
What Is Ductal Carcinoma in Situ?
DCIS is cancer (abnormal cells) found in the milk ducts of the breast. Unlike other types of breast cancer, DCIS is noninvasive, meaning it has not spread to surrounding tissue or other parts of the body (metastatic breast cancer). DCIS is the earliest stage of breast cancer (stage 0).
DCIS is typically detected through breast cancer screening. While you may notice a lump or slight nipple discharge, DCIS rarely presents with the usual symptoms of breast cancer. DCIS may become invasive if left untreated, so early detection is critical.
Why Choose the Abramson Cancer Center for DCIS?
We understand the importance of accurately diagnosing and treating DCIS. At the Abramson Cancer Center, you can expect:
- Precise diagnosis: Our specialized breast cancer pathologists gather detailed information about cancer. This information helps us personalize your treatment. Learn how we diagnose breast cancer.
- Timely treatment: We provide a quick response to early stage breast cancer. Our certified breast cancer nurse navigator coordinates your appointments so that your treatment begins as soon as possible. Meet our oncology nurse navigators.
- Comprehensive care: Our oncologists work together to address every aspect of your care. In addition to innovative treatment, we offer extensive breast cancer support services to manage any side effects.
- Attention to breast cancer recurrence: After a breast cancer diagnosis, your risk of new and recurrent cancer increases. Our 2-PREVENT Breast Cancer Transitional Center of Excellence addresses cancer concerns that arise after your treatment ends.
- Care close to home: You'll find expert breast cancer care at all Penn Medicine locations. Our breast cancer specialists and providers collaborate across the network to get you the treatment you need, no matter where you live.
Our Approach to DCIS Treatment
We treat DCIS before it becomes invasive breast cancer. Your care team works with you to create a treatment plan that is both effective and personalized to your diagnosis and lifestyle. Breast cancer treatment at Penn Medicine may include: