A lung cancer diagnosis can come as a shock. At the Abramson Cancer Center, you are never alone in your lung cancer journey. Our team partners with you as you go through the ups and downs of lung cancer care. Connect with us at any time — no official diagnosis or doctor's referral is necessary.
Lung Cancer Care: The Penn Medicine Advantage
No two lung cancers are alike. That's why getting to know you — and individualizing your care — is so crucial to treatment success. We do this by listening to your hopes and concerns one-on-one. We also break down the biology of tumor cells, so treatments can be matched to your DNA. We offer the most advanced treatments in the world and have some of the best outcomes in the nation.
Our Lung Cancer Program also features:
- Lung cancer expertise: Our lung cancer team includes medical oncologists, radiation oncologists and thoracic surgeons with decades of experience. They are leaders in thoracic oncology, creating immunotherapy treatment guidelines and developing easier ways to identify tumor targets. They collaborate with each other through regular meetings and informal chats, all with one goal: providing you world-class lung cancer care.
- The latest technologies: Your lung cancer treatments involve incredible innovations. Through a clinical trial, we offer imaging that makes hidden tumors "glow" during surgery. We also perform simple blood tests that show a tumor's weaknesses.
- 24/7 access to lung cancer experts: Our triage nurses are just a phone call away. They help with treatments for side effects and coordinate appointments and prescriptions. Learn about the urgent care for lung cancer treatment side effects we provide in our Oncology Evaluation Center.
- Fast appointments: Time is precious. So we make every second count. From same-day appointments to schedule adjustments to fit in newly diagnosed small cell lung cancer patients, you won't have to wait for answers — or needed treatments.
- Supportive smoking cessation program: Our Comprehensive Smoking Treatment Program brings together experts in pulmonary medicine, public health and social work to help you quit smoking. You experience guilt-free and individualized treatment strategies and a positive and supportive environment.
- Outstanding care close to home: You receive chemotherapy, radiation and follow-up appointments at the Abramson Cancer Center location nearest you. Our satellite offices are staffed by the same internationally renowned lung cancer experts as our downtown hospitals.
- Convenience: The Perelman Center for Advanced Medicine is a one-stop-shop where you can get everything you need — from chemo ports and physical therapy to imaging studies and proton therapy.
Oncology-Certified Nurse Navigators at Penn Medicine
More and more patients are living longer with lung cancer thanks to recent advances. But there are still many things to navigate as you cope with your diagnosis and go through treatment. With us, your care is so much more than managing your physical symptoms — our lung cancer team takes the time to get to know you and your family. Then they are better able to anticipate your emotional and practical needs as well.
Our oncology-certified nurse navigator uses specialized training in lung cancer care to:
- Coordinate your appointments so you avoid extra hospital visits
- Help you manage transportation and financial concerns
- Prepare you for treatment and potential side effects
- Listen to your concerns and answer your questions
Meet the oncology nurse navigators