At the Abramson Cancer Center, our specialized breast cancer oncologists target cancer with leading-edge treatment that also aligns with your goals and lifestyle. We make it a priority to understand you before developing your treatment plan.
Breast Cancer Treatment: The Abramson Cancer Center Advantage
As a leader in comprehensive breast cancer care, we offer every evidence-based and innovative treatment option available.
When you choose Penn Medicine for breast cancer treatment, you'll find:
- Unmatched breast cancer expertise: From screening and diagnosis to treatment and research, our specialists dedicate themselves to breast cancer care. Our multidisciplinary team collaborates to personalize your care using the most effective treatments. Meet our breast cancer team.
- Access to advanced treatments: We offer the most innovative breast cancer treatments available today including targeted therapy, immunotherapy and proton therapy (a precise form of radiation therapy). Through our extensive clinical trials program, you'll find new and promising treatments for all types of breast cancer.
- Expert breast reconstruction: Using a woman's own tissue for breast reconstruction (free flap or autologous reconstruction) is a complex procedure. We perform the highest volume of free flap reconstruction in the nation and deliver superior cosmetic results.
- Wide-ranging support: We're here for you before, during and after breast cancer treatments. Our oncology nurse navigators coordinate your care and provide answers to all your questions. Breast cancer support services include counseling, integrative oncology, nutritional services, survivorship program and non-medical assistance.
- Expert treatment close to home: You’ll find advanced breast cancer care at all Penn Medicine locations. Our breast cancer specialists and providers collaborate across the network to provide the treatment you need in a convenient location.
Breast Cancer Treatment Options
Our breast cancer care includes a combination of treatments and surgery tailored to meet your needs. Breast cancer treatment may include:
Breast Cancer Surgery
Most people diagnosed with breast cancer require surgery as part of their treatment plan. Our breast cancer surgeons use the latest technology, advanced breast imaging and minimally invasive techniques to reduce scarring and recovery time. They work together with specialized plastic surgeons who offer expert breast reconstruction following mastectomy or breast conserving surgery. Read more about breast cancer surgery.
Radiation therapy uses high-energy X-rays to kill breast cancer cells. At Penn, our specialized radiation oncologists use the most advanced radiation technology to treat breast cancer. We personalize your therapy based on your diagnosis and focus on protecting the heart and lungs during treatment. Learn more about radiation therapy for breast cancer.
Medical oncology uses drugs to slow or stop the growth of breast cancer. While some of these agents are systemic and work throughout the body, others target specific characteristics of cancer. Medical oncology treatments used for breast cancer include:
In addition to conventional treatments, we offer clinical trials through our breast cancer research program. Participation in a clinical trial may provide new and promising treatment options that aren’t available anywhere else. Learn more about breast cancer clinical trials at the Abramson Cancer Center.
Kathy's Journey: Taking Treatment One Day at a Time
As a nurse practitioner and mother of three, Kathy thought she could handle almost anything. But when she was diagnosed with breast cancer, she lost her sense of control. Overwhelmed by the idea of surgery and treatment, Kathy trusted her breast cancer team. Together they conquered her breast cancer, one treatment at a time. Learn more about Kathy's experience with breast cancer treatment at Penn.