Registered Dietitians and Nutrition Counseling
Nutrition counseling by registered dietitian nutritionists is available for all patients treated for cancer at the Abramson Cancer Center. Our dietitians specialize in cancer nutrition and provide information based on sound nutritional therapies. Throughout treatment, a well-balanced nutrition plan can improve tolerance and response to therapy and promote recovery. If you need any help or have any questions, our registered dietitians are available by phone, email, and telemedicine (virtual) appointments.
Meet the registered dietitians and get their contact info
Our dietitian/nutritionists offer individualized counseling to patients and their families on diet and nutrition to help during and after cancer treatments.
Nutrition counseling includes:
- Assessing and instruction on your individual nutritional status based on your type of cancer, medical history, personal preferences and treatment plan
- Suggesting foods and strategies to help maintain weight
- Managing treatment related side effects that may impact the ability to eat
- Instruction on food preparation steps to help patients conserve energy
- Identify ways to obtain adequate hydration
- Providing guidance for using integrative approaches
The Abramson Cancer Centers offers virtual nutrition classes at our locations throughout the region. The classes provide information and recommendations on diet and nutrition to help patients both during and after treatment. All classes are taught by Abramson Cancer Center registered dietitian/nutritionists. For additional information and to register please call the number listed below:
- The Tracey Birnhak Nutritional Counseling Program at the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania
- Taste of Health
Join this monthly virtual nutrition program. For additional details and to register, please call 215-614-0651.
- The Joan Karnell Supportive Care Program at Pennsylvania Hospital
- Cooking Nutritious & Delicious Food
Come experience new flavors and foods with cancer fighting properties. This class is offered quarterly. For class dates and to register, call 215-829-6560.
- Holistic Living Challenge
This is a 7 week, 2 hour intensive program on making lifestyle changes in the areas of nutrition, sleep, physical activity, healthy relationships, breathing and mindfulness. This program is most appropriate after cancer treatment during the recovery phase. For class dates and to register, call 215-829-6737.
- The Ann B. Barshinger Cancer Institute at Lancaster General Health
- Ca.R.E. - Cancer Rehab and Exercise Program
Developed by Lancaster General Health and the YMCA to provide a safe and supportive environment for cancer survivors to regain strength, endurance, flexibility and function. In addition to the exercise training which is provided by a designated YMCA fitness expert, LG Health staff provide education seminars on nutrition spirituality, coping, and survivorship. For class dates and to register, call 215-829-6737 or 1-888-LGH-INFO (544-4636)
- Living with Cancer, To Support You from Diagnosis to Survivorship
A monthly seminar on topics that include nutrition, spirituality, integrative therapies, emotional coping, changes in memory and physical activity. Registration is required, please call the Lancaster General Health Contact Center at 1-888-LGH-INFO (544-4636) or 717-544-4636.
Other Helpful Resources