Research at the Laboratory for Structural, Physiologic and Functional Imaging is primarily focused on the continued development of image-based quantitative methods for the study of tissue oxygen metabolism at enhanced temporal and spatial resolution, and the study of degenerative and acquired vascular disease of the brain and other organ systems, including the human placenta and fetus. A related area of concentration is development of technology for the evaluation of preclinical vascular disease.
LSPFI is also active in developing methods for quantitative assessment of metabolic and degenerative skeletal disorders. Ongoing projects target creation of cranial models and orthopedic applications of high-resolution 3D anatomical models.
1. Leonard MB, Wehrli FW, Ziolkowski SL, Billig E, Long J, Nickolas TL, Magland JF, Nihtianova S, Zemel BS, Herskovitz R, Rajapakse CS. A multi-imaging modality study of bone density, bone structure and the muscle - bone unit in end-stage renal disease. Bone. 2019 Oct;127:271-279.
2. Caporale A, Langham MC, Guo W, Johncola A, Chatterjee S, Wehrli FW. Acute effects of electronic cigarette aerosol inhalation on vascular function detected at quantitative MRI. Radiology. 2019 Aug 20:190562. [Epub ahead of print]
3. Chatterjee S, Tao JQ, Johncola A, Guo W, Caporale A, Langham MC, Wehrli FW. Acute exposure to e-cigarettes causes inflammation and pulmonary endothelial oxidative stress in nonsmoking, healthy young subjects. Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol. 2019 Aug 1;317(2):L155-L166.
4. Englund EK, Fernández-Seara MA, Rodríguez-Soto AE, Lee H, Rodgers ZB, Vidorreta M, Detre JA, Wehrli FW. Calibrated fMRI for dynamic mapping of CMRO(2) responses using MR-based measurements of whole-brain venous oxygen saturation. J Cereb Blood Flow Metab. 2019 Aug 8:271678X19867276.
5. Ailavajhala R, Oswald J, Rajapakse CS, Pleshko N. Environmentally-controlled near infrared spectroscopic imaging of bone water. Sci Rep. 2019 Jul 15;9(1):10199.
University of Pennsylvania
1 Founders Building
3400 Spruce Street
Philadelphia, PA 19104