International physicians, researchers, or medical students interested in visiting the Department of Radiology at Penn Medicine and who meet the requirements to do so may submit a Visiting Observer Application to the clinical area of interest. All requests are considered on an individual basis.

Radiology Visiting Observers Program: Questions and Answers

What is Penn Radiology's definition of a visiting observer so that I can be sure this is the right training for me?

A Penn Radiology enrichment/observation experience is defined, for purposes of this policy, as time spent at the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania (HUP) or in the Clinical Practices of the University of Pennsylvania (CPUP), observing patient care, gaining medical knowledge, conducting research, observing or consulting in connection with a research project.

Radiology Enrichment/Observation experiences may be granted on a case-by-case basis to undergraduate, foreign medical student or any individual who has completed formal graduate medical education or training. His/her purpose in spending time within the Department of Radiology is personal enrichment, not provision of service to the Department. Not applicable to CVI.

The exchange of visiting scholars promotes interchange, mutual enrichment, and linkages between research and educational institutions in US and foreign countries. Eligible participants in this program will enter the US with a J-1 visa, identified as “exchange visitors.” Or B-1 visa if they will be observing in a clinical area for a period not to exceed three months.


I am interested in setting up a visit (observership) in one of your departments. What is the procedure?

A number of our divisions accept visiting observers. Please review the list below and find the division that meets your interests. Then complete the Visiting Observership Application and email it to the division contact as specified below. 

Penn Radiology Division Contact Information for Visiting Observers
Email: Sharon Bailey 

• Body Computed Tomography (CT) 
• Gastrointestinal (GI) Radiology
• Gynecological/Urological (GU) Radiology 
• Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI) 
• Ultrasound

Email: Lisa Bell


Email: Denia Budhan

Email: Carol Scott

Email: Sandra Carney
(Intended for practicing radiologists or nuclear medicine physicians who are interested in gaining additional experience in nuclear medicine) 

I am interested in spending time in one of your clinical divisions and I am NOT a U.S. citizen. Where can I obtain more information about visas?

University of Pennsylvania Criteria:

U.S. Government Criteria:

How much health coverage is required?

  • Medical benefits of at least $50,000 per accident or illness
  • Repatriation of remains in the amount of $7,500
  • Expenses associated with the medical evacuation of the exchange visitor to his or her home country in the amount of $10,000
  • A deductible not to exceed $500 per accident or illness

What immunization records (proof of immunization) must I have?

  • Immunization records for Measles, Mumps, Rubella and Varicella (chicken pox)
  • Proof of PPD test for Tuberculosis with negative results within 3 months
  • Visitors between September and March must submit to an influenza vaccine upon arrival.

What housing options are available?


  • AKA University City (close to campus)
    2929 Walnut Street
    Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104
    Phone: (+1) 215-372-9000
  • Club Quarters in Philadelphia (use UPENN as the promo code)
    1628 Chestnut Street (At 17th Street)
    Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19103
    Phone: (+1) 215-282-5000
    Fax: (+1) 215-282-5001
  • The Franklin Residences
    834 Chestnut Street
    Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19107
    Phone: (+1) 215-629-9900
  • Homewood Suites by Hilton University City (on campus)
    4109 Walnut Street
    Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104
    Phone: (+1) 215-382-1111


  • The Axis
    20 South 36th Street
    Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104
    Phone: (+1) 215-662-0802
  • International House
    3701 Chestnut Street
    Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104
    Phone: (+1) 215-895-6540 (day), (+1) 215-387-5125 (evening)


  • AKA University City (close to campus)
    2929 Walnut Street
    Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104
    Phone: (+1) 215-372-9000
  • The Inn at Penn, A Hilton Hotel (on campus)
    3600 Sansom Street
    Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104
    Phone: (+1) 215-222-0200
    Fax: (+1) 215-222-4600
  • Sheraton Philadelphia University City Hotel (on campus)
    3549 Chestnut Street
    Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104
    Phone: (+1) 215-387-8000

Where should I report on my first observation day?

Prior to arrival, you should make direct arrangements with the division you will be observing in and identify a first-time meeting location.

I understand I must wear a photo ID at all times. What is the procedure to obtain one?

You will obtain a completed form from the division or section you are visiting. You will be directed to an appropriate security office where IDs are taken. The ID will expire on your last scheduled day of your visitorship.

Back To Top
Share This Page: