Among the Nation's Best
We continue to be national leaders in the treatment of various thoracic conditions. As one of the early pioneers in video assisted surgery (VATS), we have made continued advances with this and other minimally invasive techniques which enables us to perform many operations through small incisions resulting in less pain and a shorter recovery period for our patients.
Clinical Care Programs
As members of one of the premier general thoracic surgery programs in the world, Penn's thoracic surgeons were among the first nationwide to form a separate section within a division of cardiothoracic surgery specializing in non-cardiac thoracic surgery. This means our surgeons are highly specialized, focusing their time, talents and education completely on thoracic disorders such as:
In fact, our thoracic surgeons see more thoracic patients than any other hospital in the Delaware Valley.
Leaders in Education and Research
The Division of Thoracic Surgery is a leader in medical education and training. We offer the following programs:
Current Research Activities
Our access to clinical trials enables us to provide some of the newest and best therapies to our patients.
- Sunil Singhal
- Evgeniy B. Eruslanov
- Harrison Department of Surgical Research
- ALCHEMIST (Adjuvant Lung Cancer Enrichment Marker Identification and Sequencing Trial)
- John Kucharczuk, MD is the Principal Investigator on the following four trials:
- A151216: A Phase III Screening Trial; Genetic testing screening patients with completely resected non-small cell lung cancer stage IB-IIIA.
- A081105: Phase III Randomized Study of Erlotinib vs observation in patients with completely resected EGFR mutant NSCLC.
- E4512: A Randomized Phase III Trial for Surgically Resected Early Stage Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer: Crizotinib versus Observation for Patients with Tumors Harboring the Anaplastic Lymphoma Kinase (ALK) Fusion Protein.
- EA5142: Adjuvant Nivolumab in Resected Lung Cancers (ANVIL): A Randomized Phase III Study of Nivolumab After Surgical Resection and Adjuvant Chemotherapy in Non-Small Cell Lung Cancers.