Whichever avenue the patient takes to initiate the update, they must have the documents listed below. Additionally, consider updating insurance information to reflect the name/gender marker change prior to updating the medical record in order to avoid billing issues.
- The court decree (in the case of name change)
- Updated birth certificate or legal ID with an updated gender marker (in the case of gender marker change)
- Updated legal ID (Drivers License, ID Card, Passport)
Options for updating medical records
Please be aware that patients will have to provide previous name and identifiers to make sure the correct record will be updated.
- Bring the listed documents to the next appointment and ask the registrar to scan them into Epic and contact the EMPI medical records team to update the record.
- Call or email the EMPI medical records team directly to update the medical record prior to the next appointment and email the documents directly to the team.
Disclaimer: In choosing to submit your request and documents via email you accept the risk that unencrypted email is not secure and therefore may be intercepted by others.