Penn Medicine's Mycobacterial Infections Clinic provides comprehensive evaluation and care for difficult-to-treat infections caused by mycobacteria, a type of bacteria that is resistant to many antibiotics. Mycobacterial infections can cause chronic skin infections and can affect multiple body systems including the lungs, bones, gastrointestinal tract and lymphatic system. If you have a weakened immune system or are undergoing immunosuppressive therapies, you are particularly susceptible to mycobacterial infections. Penn's expert team and thorough approach to care helps safeguard the success of your treatment.
Common Mycobacterial Infections
Common mycobacterial infections include:
- Atypical mycobacterial infections (includes all other mycobacteria that do not cause tuberculosis or leprosy)
- Leprosy (Hansen's Disease)
Mycobacterial Infections Services
Penn's Mycobacterial Infections Clinic is one of a few health care facilities dedicated to the treatment of mycobacterial infections. Penn physicians have considerable expertise treating these challenging infections, offering you access to leading-edge treatment modalities.
Our services include:
- A co-management clinic with Penn Lung Center for patients with lung infections
- A multidisciplinary approach to care that includes pulmonary rehabilitation and advanced pulmonary diagnostic testing
- Coordinated care for patients requiring intravenous antibiotics
- Individualized treatment plans
- Patient education and counseling services
Make An Appointment
To make an appointment with a mycobacterial infection specialist call 800-789-7366 (PENN), or request an appointment online.
To prepare for your appointment, please have the following information on hand:
To learn more about our research, visit our Department Research page
Related Departments & Divisions