A Second Chance for a New Beginning
Watch Kathi's Story
Kathi was born with cystic fibrosis and was determined to live a full life with this devastating genetic disease. Soon after the birth of her twins, however, Kathi's care team at Penn determined that lung transplant was her only option.
Transplant Appointments and Procedures During COVID-19
At the Penn Transplant Institute, our highest priority is making sure you get the care you need, when you need it, in the safest way possible.
Learn more about safety protocols and telemedicine appointments
Surgeons at Penn have significantly improved the lives of hundreds of patients, having performed more than double the number of lung transplants than any other transplant program in the Philadelphia region. Since the inception of the program, nearly 1000 successful lung transplants have been performed. The benefit of our experience is that every aspect of lung transplant care is well organized and centered on the patient.
The Benefits of Choosing Penn for Lung Transplant
The lung transplant program at Penn is dedicated to providing only the highest quality of care to patients and their families throughout the lung transplant process.
Penn Lung Transplant patients benefit from:
- One of the most experienced lung transplant programs in the world
- Internationally recognized physicians and surgeons
- Individualized care from a multidisciplinary team that includes pulmonologists, cardiothoracic surgeons, nurse practitioners, radiologists, social workers, dietitians and physical and respiratory therapists
- Research programs that keep Penn at the forefront of new developments, allowing patients access to the most progressive treatments and clinical trials
- A streamlined intake process facilitating lung transplant consultation within two to three weeks of referral
- Comprehensive evaluation testing performed outpatient over the course of four days, designed to safely and efficiently move patients through the transplant listing process
- Each patient is followed by a dedicated pulmonologist and nurse practitioner to ensure a personal therapeutic relationship.
- Counseling services from financial counselors and social workers who are experts in matters of transplantation
- Penn contracts with all major insurance providers and has the ability to negotiate individual contracts when needed.
Beyond excellent medical care, Penn offers lung transplant patients and their families the highest level of hospitality, including the Clyde F. Barker Penn Transplant House, a beautiful, modern guest house on Penn's campus that provides accommodation for patients, their families and caregivers.
Request a Consultation
The lung transplant program is located at the Perelman Center for Advanced Medicine at the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania. To request a consultation or speak with a healthcare professional from the lung transplant program, complete the Request an Appointment form or call 800-789-7366 (PENN).
In This Section
View a list of the Penn Lung Transplant Program's team members, ranging in skill and expertise.
Understand the phases of a lung transplant and the various treatments and procedures associated.
Support groups are offered online and in-person for lung transplant patients and caregivers. View the calendar.
There are many reasons why patients and their families choose Penn Medicine for a lung transplant. Read about our exceptional patient outcomes and our commitment to quality patient care and safety.
Take a look at our list of frequently asked questions about lung transplants at Penn Medicine.
Penn Lung Transplant performs research studies to enhance treatment options. Take a look at our current clinical trials.
Watch a video about Penn Medicine patients who underwent a successful lung transplant.