“Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed people can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.” ~Margaret Meade
From the Desk of Michele Volpe:
We have weathered many storms in the past two years as an organization, and I am very proud to say that this organization has grown stronger together as a result. We are starting to see that the steps we've taken over the last 18-24 months are making a difference.
Many of our best ideas come directly from you. I am constantly impressed by your ingenuity, dedication and constructive feedback. Together, we're making PPMC a better place to work.
While you may know about improvements we've made in various units and departments, it is important to note the cumulative effects of our efforts, so please take a moment to review all of the enhancements we've made at PPMC in the last two years. In addition, we've included upcoming projects to give you a glimpse at things to come.
Congratulations on your great work to serve our patients and work together to improve our hospital. Thank you for your commitment to PPMC and to our patients.
1. Work Environment Improvements
- Operating Room Employee lounge area and lockers refurbished to better serve our staff
- Sterile Processing Tray Tracking system implemented
- Added of #15 Cupp Operating Room
- Renovated the OR/MICU Waiting Area
- Implemented a new state of the art phone system campus wide
- The Pre- and Post-procedure areas of the GI department updated
- Renovated of Kozart Auditorium
- Upgraded Cath Labs #1, 2 and 3
- Upgraded the Telemetry System
- Upgraded Laboratory equipment, which includes Chemistry, Hematology and Coagulation Analyzers in addition to new Immunoassay Instrumentation
- ERCP and EUS equipment purchased for the GI Suite
- Purchased bedside monitors for PACU
- Additional OR equipment and instrumentation purchased
- Continued the Patient Bed Replacement Project
- Radiology Orthopedic reading room constructed
- Wireless internet access network installed in Cupp building, the Emergency Department, CCU and SNF
- Introduced the PPMC Intranet
- Upgraded and renovated outpatient facility included:
- Urology Procedure room
- Offices in the PHI building
- Medical Office building (MOB) public space
- Infiniti Vision System
Projects underway include:
- CCU Waiting room renovations
- Oxygen Tank /System upgrade
- Phase I of the Sterile Processing Department underway; Phase II and completion targeted for FY11
- Patient Assist Lifting Equipment coming in FY11
2. Safety at Work
- Added bike patrol security guard to patrol from 11pm to 7am daily
- Posted a security guard at the Powelton Ave parking lot from 5am to 7am daily for improved employee, patient and visitor safety
- New decontamination shower installed in the Emergency Department
- Replaced the Fire Alarm System and made upgrades to the code and fire sprinkler system in the Wright Saunders Building
- Made Patient Safety upgrades on Wright 4 and Wright 5 Units
- Installed aFire and Sprinkler System in the basement and storage areas
- Upgraded electrical system infrastructure to ensure continuous system reliability
- Implemented color-coded visitor badge program
- Initiated proactive rounding for patient valuables on patient floors
- Additional surveillance cameras installed campus-wide
In Fiscal Years 2009 and 2010 over $31,175,000 was spent for capital improvements, renovations and equipment for PPMC.
These are just a few of the many physical plant and work environment projects that have been completed or are underway, as we continue to upgrade and enhance your work areas and systems.
3. Promoting the Culture of Patient Safety
- Implemented UPHS system wide Patient Falls Program
- Implemented Sunrise SRx Pharmacy System to better serve our patients
- Biphasic Defibrillators purchased for an anticipated May 2010 installation hospital-wide
- Purchased Medley IV Pumps for hospital wide use
- Purchased 50 additional Dynamaps; expected delivery May 2010
- Radiology PACS System installed in the OR suites
- Additional Anesthesia Machines and Ventilators purchased
4. Culture of Excellence: Magnet Journey
- Engaged two professional writers to assist nursing staff and managers in writing and preparing our final magnet document
- Initiated Magnet Mondays to celebrate and showcase the culture of excellence at Penn Presbyterian Medical Center
5. Employee Recognition and Retention
- In response to a record breaking snow storm in December 2009, a one time thank you bonus of $150 was paid to all eligible employees who braved the storm to provide continuous compassionate and quality care to our patients, no matter what the weather or obstacle.
- This year's Annual Service Awards Event celebrated over 2,000 combined years of service from 218 honorees with 5 to 40 years of service respectively
- Implemented around-the-clock monthly All Employee Meetings with Michele Volpe and members of the senior team
- Presby Idol Event held in May 2009; another show potentially coming in the Fall of 2010
- Enhanced bereavement time off policy
- Increased Personal Holiday time accrual of up to 48 hours annually for employees who have provided 25 years or more of service to PPMC, in recognition of their dedication
- Implemented e-Star Time and Attendance System
- Awarded salary increases for eligible employees in July 2008 and 2009
- Continued to offer discount tickets for employees and their families program to movie theaters, Philadelphia Zoo, Dorney Park, Hershey Park, Morey Pier, Wildwood NJ Dutch Wonderland, etc.
- Sponsored PPMC Day at Great Adventure for employees and their families and friends.
Plans underway include:
- A fun day at Dorney Park on July 17, 2010
- Presby STAR Employee Recognition Program slated to start in July 2010
6. Green Initiatives
- In response to our employees' concerns and to better serve and preserve our planet and community, the PPMC Green Committee was formed. The committee consists of representatives from administration, management and staff.
- Several initiatives have been implemented to help recover some of the reusable resources discarded daily at PPMC. Some of the programs implemented by the PPMC Green Committee include:Battery recycling
o Cardboard paper recycling
o Pharmacy Waste Recovery Program
o Fluorescent lights recycling
o Red Bag Waste Minimization Program
o Liquid Waste Disposal System in the OR suites
We continue to expand our Green Initiatives and look for ideas from our colleagues.I look forward to another rewarding and productive year. Thank you for all that you do.