Updated: June 23, 2021
Penn Presbyterian Medical Center is taking all necessary steps to protect the health and safety of patients, visitors and staff during the COVID-19 pandemic.
Visitation for Inpatients
Patients may have two (2) healthy visitors between 9 am and 8 pm.
- Only people 18 years and older are permitted to visit.
- Only two (2) visitors allowed in patient room at a time.
- Visitors may swap out for another visitor outside the building.
- Visitors are encouraged to stay in the patient room.
The hospital may make exceptions in rare circumstances:
- End-of-Life: two (2) people will be allowed at the bedside and can swap out outside the building. Virtual options are also available.
- Pediatric patients (18 years or under) may have one designated parent or guardian stay with the patient, but that person must remain at bedside during non-visitation hours.
We realize that these restrictions may create challenges, and we are very sorry for any difficulties they may cause. If you have questions or concerns, please contact Patient Experience for further assistance at 215-662-9100.
Visitation for Procedures
- Patients having a surgical/outpatient procedure may have one (1) family/support person, who can wait in a designated waiting area during the procedure and will be allowed a brief 30-minute visit post-procedure.
- If surgical procedure goes beyond 8 pm, the family/support can wait in designated waiting area and will be allowed a brief 30-minute visit post-procedure.
- This includes Surgery (Penn Presbyterian Medical Center & Penn Medicine University City), Infusions, Cardiac Cath / Electrophysiology, Stress / Echocardiogram Tests, MRI, CT Scan, Interventional Radiology, and Gastroenterology / Pulmonary procedures. It also includes Radiation / Oncology treatments.
- If an inpatient is having surgery and will not go to the recovery room, a post-surgical visit will be in the patients in-patient room once settled.
All Visitors Must
- Have their temperature checked at entry
- Wear a mask or face covering
- Practice social distancing
- Perform frequent hand hygiene
Visitation for Office Visits / Testing
- Patients for office visits (evaluation and management visits) are allowed one (1) healthy visitors for the length of the appointment.
- A Companion Pass will be issued by the outpatient practice office or the visitor must complete a "green pass" prior to entry.
- Children under the age of 18 will not be permitted to accompany the patient.
- This applies to both Penn Presbyterian Medical Center and Penn Medicine University City.
When entering Penn Presbyterian Medical Center, all patients and visitors are required to complete a health screening, which may include having your temperature checked and answering questions about your health, quarantine routines and any recent travel outside Pennsylvania.
Any visitor who presents with a temperature higher than 99.0 degrees (F), has a persistent cough, has/had exposure within the last 14 days to a COVID positive person or has traveled from a high-risk geographical area will not be permitted to enter the hospital under any circumstances.
To save time checking in, complete our online symptom screening, called PennOpen Pass, before you arrive. This prescreener will generate a pass for you to enter the building. Once you get here, a Penn Medicine employee will check your pass, which you can show right on your mobile phone. Please do not fill out the screening more than 72 hours (three days) before your appointment or visit.
While you're in the hospital, you may have periodic monitoring.
In addition to covering your face, you should practice social distancing and restrict your mobility within the hospital as much as possible. When offered, please follow defined pathways for movement within Penn Presbyterian Medical Center.
Movement of Visitors
- We will continue to monitor inpatient visit exceptions and outpatient office visit exceptions and distribute updates to the entrances as needed.
- Any visitors allowed in the hospital should minimize movement by going directly to and from intended destination.
- The Cafeteria and Freshii are open to visitors. Operational hours are posted at entrances of each location.