Penn's Level One Trauma Center
Not all hospitals are trauma centers and not every emergency department can handle every emergency. Unlike an emergency department, a trauma center is a state-verified facility equipped and staffed to treat major traumatic injuries.
Penn Level One Trauma Center Service Highlights
- Multidisciplinary team of board certified doctors, nurses and technicians ready to treat the most severely injured patients, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week
- Air Care Team provides helicopter response and emergency trauma services to the greater Philadelphia region
- State-of-the-art diagnostic and surgical equipment
- Trauma research program
- Surgical residency program
Trauma Conditions Treated
- Severely injured patients
- Motor vehicle crashes
- Industrial accidents
- Acts of violence
- Sports injuries
State-of-the-Art Level One Trauma Facility
Modern ICU rooms (2 dedicated to neuro trauma)
Radiology and advanced imaging
24/7 valet parking
Primary Stroke Center
Board certified physicians
Emergency and trauma trained nursing staff
Penn Neuro Trauma Team
- Neurocritical care specialists
- Specialized support staff with a specific interest in treating patients with traumatic brain injury and spinal injury, including spinal cord injury
Penn’s Level One Trauma Center is proud to be an integral part of training the next generation of physicians to care for the most critical trauma patients.
Neuro Intensive Care Unit
The Neuro Intensive Care Unit is a 20-bed dedicated patient care unit.
- Staffed with registered nurses, neurosurgery resident physicians, nurse practitioners neurocritical care fellows and attending neurosurgeons and neurocritical care physicians.
- Trauma/critical care physicians and nurses provide 24-hour-a-day care for patients.
- A minimum of 1 nurse is on duty for every 2 patients.
- A neurosurgeon is always in the hospital to care for neuro patients.
- The unit is equipped with the most advanced bedside monitoring and computer analysis systems.
Rehabilitation begins early in the treatment of trauma patients with rehabilitation medicine specialists, physical and occupational therapists and neuropsychologists. Those who have been severely injured, have sustained head injuries or spinal injuries, are referred to Penn’s Neuro Rehabilitation Clinic.