Penn's Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation residency offers a fully ACGME-accredited 4-year categorical program as well as a 3-year advanced program. Residents rotate through inpatient, outpatient and consultative services with progressive levels of responsibility throughout their training. Residency training takes place at a variety of locations offering inpatient and outpatient services.
We offer both categorical and advanced tracks:
- Categorical (4 positions) — Candidates apply to the program to begin as an intern (PGY-1) and reach completion of the program after 4 years.
- Advanced (2 positions) — Candidates enter the program after successful completion of an internship. Residents apply to the program to begin as a Post-Graduate Year 2 (PGY-2) resident.
How to Apply for the Residency Program at Penn Medicine
In order to review your file, the Residency Selection Committee will need the following documents:
- AAMC Electronic Residency Application Service (ERAS) application
- Curriculum vitae (The ERAS program will generate a CV based on the information you provide in the Common Application Form. You do not need to submit a separate CV)
- Medical school transcript
- A copy of your original qualifying examination scores (USMLE / COMLEX)
- Medical Student Performance Evaluation (Dean's Letter)
- Personal statement (demonstrating your interest/experience in PM&R)
- Three letters of recommendation
- Valid ECFMG certificate*, if applicable
*Recommended for International Medical Graduates, although this is not a strict requirement.
The applications via ERAS are reviewed at the departmental Education Committee. After the initial screening of the applications, candidates will be selected to interview with the faculty and residents. Invitations to interview are sent to qualified candidates via email and ERAS. Interviews with the candidates are generally held from November through January.
Begin your application by visiting the ERAS website:
If you have any questions, call the residency office at 215-893-2676 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.