Penn's Hematology/Oncology Division is a comprehensive program dedicated to the research, diagnosis and providing the most advanced treatment of all types of cancers and blood-related disorders. Our faculty members are involved in research to develop new and more effective methods for diagnosing and treating these diseases and for educating the physicians and researchers of the future.
Penn hematologists and medical oncologists are members of multidisciplinary teams. They approach the treatment of cancer and blood disorders by treating the entire individual; not just the disease. Patients benefit by having a team of experts from various specialties working together to determine the best course of treatment in a supportive, compassionate environment.
World-Class Patient Care
Penn hematologists and medical oncologists specialize in the diagnosis, treatment and management of cancer and blood disorders including:
- Hematologic malignancies including leukemia, lymphoma, myeloma and myelodysplastic and myeloproliferative diseases
- Benign hematologic disorders including disorders of red blood cells, white blood cells, and platelets
- Coagulation problems including hemophilia
- Allogeneic and autologous stem cell transplant
- Innovative clinical trials
Hematologists and medical oncologists also coordinate overall patient care and direct chemotherapy and related medical treatments.
A Multidisciplinary Approach
Penn hematologists and medical oncologists work closely with other cancer specialists to provide patients with comprehensive, integrated care. They work side-by-side with other treatment team members including physicians and nurses who specialize in surgical oncology, radiation oncology, gynecologic oncology, urology, radiology and pathology to create a personalized medical treatment plan for every patient.
Penn hematologists/oncologists are also a part of Penn Medicine’s Abramson Cancer Center, a comprehensive cancer center designated as by the National Cancer Institute and rated "exceptional" during its most recent peer review.
Comprehensive Educational Experiences
The Perelman School of Medicine at the University of Pennsylvania is ranked among the top in the country by U.S. News & World Report. High volume clinical services allow trainees to gain expertise with all types of cancers. Penn attracts residents and fellows with strong academic and leadership skills, giving trainees the opportunity to learn alongside some of the most talented and accomplished physicians, residents and fellows in the world. Penn's collaborative environment fosters productive interactions among fellow trainees and physicians from other disciplines and faculty. Graduates of Penn's residency and fellowship programs are highly recruited for leadership positions in academic medicine.
State-of-the-Art Research and Technology
Penn researchers in hematology/oncology participate in pioneering research ranging from fundamental cellular investigations to the latest, cutting-edge translational and clinical research. Patients benefit from research being done right here, right now at Penn Medicine.
- Penn's clinical and research programs are closely aligned with the National Institutes of Health (NIH) roadmap initiative emphasizing research that has a direct effect on patient outcomes.
- Penn Medicine has been awarded several highly competitive grants and selected to participate in a number of landmark clinical trials.
Penn is the leading national site for several clinical trials.
- As one of the most stimulating academic environments in the world, new researchers at Penn can expect to collaborate and learn from some of the best minds in medicine in an interactive, highly networked and supportive working environment.
- Researchers at Penn Medicine have the opportunity to solve significant problems in their respective fields.
- Penn clinicians are pioneering the most advanced medical treatments, techniques and devices.
- The Penn Center for Myeloproliferative Neoplasms and Mast Cell Disorders is a nationally recognized research program providing patients comprehensive clinical care and access to the latest clinical trials. It also serves as an educational resource for patients and health care providers.