Dr. DeMatteo is the Chairman of the Department of Surgery and a Surgical Oncologist who specializes in treating diseases of the liver, bile duct, gallbladder, pancreas and abdominal sarcomas (GIST).
His clinical research has focused on liver, bile duct, gallbladder, and pancreas cancers. In addition, he has led several national trials testing the benefit of imatinib mesylate (Gleevec) following surgery for gastrointestinal stromal tumor (GIST), a tumor that usually begins in the stomach or intestine.
In the laboratory he and his colleagues study the immune environment of the liver and tumor immunology, working to develop immune therapies to help prevent tumors from returning after surgery.
- Recognized by America's Top Doctors for 2017 and 2018
- Recognized by New York magazine Top Doctors issue: 2014, 2015, 2016
- Castle Connolly America's Top Doctors for Cancer (digital guide): 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021
- Recognized in Philadelphia magazine's annual Top Docs issues: 2018, 2019, 2020 and 2021
- 2016: Jeroen Pit Science Award, The GIST Life Raft Support Group
- 2008 - 2010: Society of Surgical Oncology Clinical Investigator Award