Dr. DeMatteo is the Chairman of the Department of Surgery and a Surgical Oncologist who specializes in treating diseases of the liver, bile duct, gallbladder, pancreas and abdominal sarcomas (GIST).
His clinical research has focused on liver, bile duct, gallbladder, and pancreas cancers. In addition, he has led several national trials testing the benefit of imatinib mesylate (Gleevec) following surgery for gastrointestinal stromal tumor (GIST), a tumor that usually begins in the stomach or intestine.
In the laboratory he and his colleagues study the immune environment of the liver and tumor immunology, working to develop immune therapies to help prevent tumors from returning after surgery.
Recognized by America's Top Doctors for 2017 and 2018
Recognized by Best Doctors in America 2015 - 2018
Recognized in Philadelphia magazine's annual Top Docs issues for 2018 and 2019
- 2016 — Jeroen Pit Science Award, The GIST Life Raft Support Group
- 2015 - present — Castle Connolly/Newsweek America's Top Doctors for Cancer
- 2014 - present — New York Magazine Best Doctors
- 2013 - present — Castle Connolly/U.S. News and World Report's America's Top Doctors
- 2008 - 2010 — Society of Surgical Oncology Clinical Investigator Award