The Grand Opening
On June 14, 2011, the Penn Transplant House officially opened its doors.
"The Barker Transplant House represents the reality that patient care extends beyond our hospitals walls," says Abraham Shaked, MD, director of the Penn Transplant Institute.
For many transplant patients, the good news of a life-saving organ match is accompanied by feelings of uncertainty and a whole new set of challenges, especially if they are traveling to receive care. To accommodate these patients, the Penn Transplant Institute offers the Clyde F. Barker Penn Transplant House, a convenient guest house for transplant patients and their families and caregivers. It is located at 3940 Spruce Street Philadelphia, PA 19104.
Named for Penn's world-renowned transplant surgeon, Clyde F. Barker, MD, this new facility was designed and built entirely through the generosity of private donations. For a nominal cost, patients can enjoy homelike accommodations including sun-filled living space and a central courtyard.
The Penn Transplant House is conveniently located at 3940 Spruce Street, just a few blocks from the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania. The house is not a medical facility, but rather a small guest house designed to meet the unique needs of transplant patients and their families and caregivers.
The house has:
- Sleeping rooms that can accommodate up to four adults—all have adjoining private bath
- Kitchen facilities where multiple families can prepare meals
- Communal dining room
- Computers and Internet access
- Laundry room
- Family room where families can enjoy watching TV, reading or playing games
- Fitness room for exercise and stress relief
- Education center—a space devoted to underscoring the importance of educating patients and families about self-care, a core value of the Penn Transplant Institute
- Nearby shopping and restaurants
In This Section
Find out if you can stay in the Transplant House and how to make a reservation.
View parking and transportation information, to make your stay as seamless as possible.
Learn how you can help transform our house into a home.
Related Programs & Services
Related Departments & Divisions