The Penn Spinal Cord Disorders Rehabilitation Program offers innovative treatment programs for any condition involving paralysis and the associated physical impairments and disabilities. It consists of inpatient and outpatient services that integrate an interdisciplinary team. Led by a physician specializing in Spinal Cord Injury Medicine, the rehabilitation team provides comprehensive medical and rehabilitative care to help individuals reach their highest level of function, recovery and quality of life.
Conditions that Benefit from Spinal Cord Injury and Disorders Rehabilitation:
Common Rehabilitation Treatments for Spinal Cord Injury and Disorders
The focus of our medical interventions, therapy and education is to help patients acquire the physical mobility, strength, knowledge and skills to achieve their highest level of independence and function. Goals may include improved ambulation, wheelchair skills, management of autonomic dysfunction, balance restoration, improved self-care, vocational adaptation, bone density management and continence management.
Common treatments include:
- Medications to enhance neurological recovery
- Activity based neurorecovery programs
- Physical therapy
- Occupational therapy
- Adaptive technology evaluation
- Custom wheelchair evaluation
- Speech language and pathology therapy
- Neuropsychology evaluation and treatment
- Recreational therapy
- Clinical nutrition evaluation
- Respiratory therapy
- Vestibular rehabilitation
- Spasticity treatment including medications and injections with botulinum toxin to treat overactive muscles that interfere with function. Spasticity is often found in persons with brain injuries, strokes and spinal cord injuries.
A Multidisciplinary Approach
Our multidisciplinary team includes the physiatrist, physical therapy, occupational therapy, rehabilitation nursing, recreation therapy, and may also include speech and language pathology, neuropsychology, clinical nutrition and respiratory therapy.
The team works together to develop an individualized treatment and recovery plan for each patient in our care. Our mission is to help our patients enhance the quality of their lives by achieving the knowledge and skills necessary to reach their optimal functional potential.
Spinal cord disorders and paralysis-related therapy services are provided at a variety of locations through Penn Therapy & Fitness.