Cancer rehabilitation addresses the unique needs of patients experiencing symptoms as a result of cancer or cancer treatments. Cancer and its treatments can cause various side effects such as pain, limited mobility, decreased strength, swelling and fatigue, which can create a range of therapy needs. Penn Therapy & Fitness provides outpatient care and education designed to enhance the quality of life and improve the function of individuals affected by cancer.
Individualized Cancer Rehabilitation Services
To meet the challenges that you face as a patient with cancer, our experts build personalized treatment programs. Our team coordinates physical medicine and rehabilitation interventions with your oncology team to ensure continuity of care. This is an innovative approach that delivers rehabilitation during and after cancer treatment on either an inpatient or outpatient basis, depending upon what works best for you.
Rehabilitation services may include management of:
- Complete decongestive therapy (CDT) for the treatment of lymphedema
- Peripheral neuropathy due to cancer, chemotherapy and radiation
- Neurological deficits
- Musculoskeletal disorders resulting from cancer or treatment
- Nutritional counseling
- Patient and family education and counseling
- Exercise programs to help to build strength, endurance and mobility
- Assistance with activities of daily living
The Cancer Rehabilitation Team
Our cancer rehabilitation team is led by a physiatrist, Mously LeBlanc, MD, who collaborates with other specialists, such as oncologists, physical therapists, occupational therapists, speech pathologists and nutritionists. You and your family members are encouraged to be active and informed partners in the rehabilitation process.