"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give."
The greatest gift you can give is the gift of yourself. Do you have a few extra hours that you would like to spend helping others? All that is required of you is a compassionate and caring heart, a nonjudgmental attitude and the willingness to make a difference in the lives of our patients and their families.
You determine the extent of your commitment of time according to your own schedule. Wissahickon Hospice provides each volunteer with the training and tools needed to join the rest of the hospice team in providing the highest quality of services to families and the community. If you would like to speak to a member of the Volunteer Department, please contact us at PMatHomeVolunteerDepartment@pennmedicine.upenn.edu.
Penn Medicine Volunteer Portal
Log in to the Penn Medicine Volunteer Portal to view your schedule, sign up for trainings or new positions, or to update your profile.
Existing Volunteer Log-In
Patient & Family Support
- Supporting the work of our professional team
- Becoming part of our Live Alone Call Team
- Making telephone support visits
- Working with our Leave a Legacy Program
- Providing grief support
Community Information and Outreach
- Participating on our Speakers Bureau
- Representing hospice at health fairs and other community events
- Assisting with Memorial Services
- Supporting our office staff with mailings, data entry, phone calls, filing and other office assistance
- Using your unique experience to aid with special projects in marketing or public relations
Events and Fundraising
- Assisting with special events by serving on committees, organizing activities or helping out during special events
- Working closely with the Development Department with mailings and acknowledgements for contributions
Student Hospice Organization of Penn (SHOOP)
Student Hospice Organization of Penn (SHOOP) is a student led organization comprised of individuals from a wide variety of disciplines. Students in pre-med, nursing, social work and many others come together to promote student volunteer opportunities visiting hospice patients. They visit the inpatient unit at Penn Hospice at Rittenhouse as well as several long term care facilities and private residences in West Philadelphia.
Make a Difference - Apply to Volunteer Today
Penn Medicine Hospice welcomes you to join our outstanding team of volunteers. Your unique gifts of time, talent and compassion help us to help others. You must be at least 18 years of age. Due to the nature of our training sessions, we discourage anyone to apply within one year of experiencing a significant loss within their immediate family or close circle of friends.
Do you have special skills, talents and licensure? If so we are always looking for the following:
- Interpreters – Do you speak or understand a foreign language? Do you sign?
- Massage Therapists