What is Egg Donation?
When you become an egg donor, you allow another person to experience pregnancy and childbirth and, most importantly, have the chance to build a family. Egg donation is an incredible gift to couples who cannot otherwise conceive children.
Donors may be considered either “anonymous” or they may be a “known” donor, such as a friend or relative. Women, who decide to undergo the egg donation process as anonymous donors, remain anonymous throughout the entire process. The screening process for anonymous and known donors is the same.
What is the egg donation process once a woman has been accepted as an egg donor and is matched with a recipient?
- The donor will be given a combination of injectable medications to stimulate the development of multiple eggs within the ovaries.
- The development of eggs is monitored by ultrasound and measurement of hormones in blood. This requires multiple visits to our office over 2-3 weeks.
- When the eggs are mature, ovulation is triggered by an injection. The eggs are harvested during a surgical procedure performed under sedation and the recovery period is brief.
- Following egg retrieval, donors generally remain in the clinic for 2-3 hours and then return home. Donors can resume their normal activity the next day.
- Once the eggs are retrieved from the egg donor, they belong to the recipient.
Are egg donors compensated?
Yes, if you are selected to be a donor you will be generously compensated for your time.
How can I apply to become an egg donor?
You may be eligible to become an egg donor if you fit the following criteria:
- Female between the ages of 21 and 30
- Non-smoker with good overall health
- Regular menstrual cycles
- BMI less than 28. Calculate your BMI
- Live or work within a reasonable distance to center city Philadelphia (up to 1½ hours)
- Your work or school schedule allows you to make frequent visits to doctor’s appointments
If you would like to apply to become an egg donor, please complete our egg donor application. Our donor program coordinator will contact you if your application meets our criteria to set up a video consultation to further discuss the screening process.