Penn Pathology and Laboratory Medicine Second Opinion Services (Penn PLM SOS)
The Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine at Penn Medicine offers a program for expert consultations. Send your interesting and difficult cases to a team of Penn Medicine subspecialists. Subspecialty consultations are available for both surgical pathology and cytology. The Department is one of the leading, fully integrated academic departments of its kind with expert subspecialized resources, including:
Outstanding team of pathologists
- Extensive immunohistochemistry panel
- Molecular testing from paraffin blocks
- Immunofluorescence for skin
- Development lab for new marker analysis
- Electron microscopy, if needed
Why Penn Pathology SOS?
24- hour turnaround time, in most cases
- Subspecialty expertise
- Designated accessioner and system
- Individual fellows as case managers
- Frequent same-day review
- Emphasis on communication
- Account billing
- Multi-disciplinary Daily Consensus Conference
How it works
- Cases have their own accession code, specific forms, and uniform charge.
- Consult cases will be accessioned into our computer system and the sender will receive a communication that the case was received.
- The case is reviewed by a fellow with the specific faculty person on that subspecialty service.
- If uncomplicated, a diagnosis will be rendered and communicated back to the sender immediately afterward; utmost efforts will be exerted to strive for a 24-hour turnaround time whenever possible.
- Cases that require additional immunostains will be reported out in a timely fashion.
Setting up an Account
A specific client account is set up to facilitate billing. Charges would be as a set fee for an uncomplicated case. Those wishing to send Personal Consults to any specific faculty member should do so through the usual route addressed to that individual faculty member.
All e-mails will be responded to within an hour between the hours of 7 am and 7 pm M-F.
Penn Pathology Second Opinion service
3400 Spruce Street
Philadelphia, PA 19104