The Orthopaedic Oncology team at Penn Medicine specializes in the treatment of various sarcomas. We work in a collaborative environment alongside our peers in medical oncology and radiation therapy to provide patients with the most current, innovative treatment options available.
Orthopaedic oncologists treat any area of the body except the neck and skull and inside the chest and abdomen. With a special interest in limb preservation techniques and reconstruction, we treat a range of malignant and benign tumors of the bone and soft tissue in both pediatrics and adults. Our goal is to shrink tumors as much as possible before surgery to minimize damage to the surrounding bone or tissue. While in treatment, our radiology, pathology and laboratory services allow for same-day results.
Our team regularly communicates with each other and our patients to ensure that the best treatment available is being provided. By combining the expertise of Penn specialists, we're able to design an individualized treatment plan for every patient.
Learn more about the different types of sarcomas and treatment options.
Conditions Treated by the Orthopaedic Oncology Program
Conditions we treat include:
- Bone lesions
- Giant cell tumor
- Inflammatory conditions
- Intramuscular lipomas
- Metabolic bone disease
- Periarticular cyst and cystic soft tissue lesions
- PVNS or synovial chondromatosis
Malignant Tumors (Sarcomas)
Treatments and Services Offered by the Orthopaedic Oncology Program
Our Orthopaedic Oncology Program provides the latest treatment approaches and helpful services for individuals with various sarcomas, including:
Why the Orthopaedic Oncology Program Is Different
- The most advanced diagnostic testing, treatments and technologies for bone and soft tissue sarcoma
- The largest and highest ranked cancer center in the region
- The most comprehensive, highly trained and experienced orthopaedic oncologists in the region
- Same-day biopsy and pathology reports
- The ability to diagnose and treat the most complex cases, including major joint resections and reconstruction
- Specially trained musculoskeletal radiologists that focus on sarcoma
- Full-time, experienced scientists and researchers dedicated to studying sarcoma
- Tumor tissue banking that can be used to further research for new clinical trials (Patients with banked tissue have access to potential new therapies that can result in an improvement of their condition.)
- Quick and seamless access to the appropriate specialist and same day biopsy
- A weekly, multidisciplinary clinical conference to discuss patient cases that includes input from specialists across many disciplines, including:
- Radiation oncology
- Musculoskeletal radiology
- Musculoskeletal pathology
- Orthopaedic oncology
- Surgical oncology
Request an Appointment
To make an appointment, call 215-349-8200 or fill out our online contact form.