The Penn Center for Advanced Cartilage Repair and Osteochondritis Dissecans Treatment is one of the few clinics in the nation dedicated to cartilage repair and one of the first to focus on osteochondritis dissecans (OCD). OCD is a rare and often misunderstood condition in which a fragment of bone and cartilage separates, causing pain, swelling and mechanical issues.
Each member of our orthopaedic team is highly experienced in cartilage repair, meniscal transplantation and osteochondritis dissecans treatment. To date, the Penn Cartilage Center is one of the highest-volume centers for autologous chondrocyte implantation (the use of the patient’s own cartilage cells to repair the damaged area) and meniscus transplantation in the world. We place an emphasis on personalized treatment plans through the integration of the best available evidence and engage our patients in a shared decision-making process.
In addition to providing the latest advancements in clinical care, we are internationally recognized for cartilage research, with expertise in cartilage development, biomaterials for cartilage repair, tissue engineering, translational studies and clinical studies.
Conditions Treated by the Cartilage Center
Some of the conditions we treat include:
- Cartilage injuries
- Meniscus injuries
- Osteochondritis dissecans (OCD)
Treatments and Services Offered by the Cartilage Center
We provide the latest treatment approaches and helpful services for those with cartilage injuries, including:
- Autologous chondrocyte implantation (ACI)
- Osteochondral autograft transfer
- Osteochondral allograft transplantation
- Meniscal transplantation
Learn more about each of these treatments
Why the Cartilage Center Is Different
Our program is home to orthopaedic surgeons who are highly experienced in cartilage repair, meniscal transplantation and osteochondritis dissecans (OCD) treatment. We offer the most advanced and effective cartilage repair and restoration options available in the Philadelphia region, including cartilage transplantation, which repairs defects with your own cartilage cells.
Moreover, we are:
- Recognized as one of the pre-eminent cartilage restoration centers nationally — ranking #3 in the nation for volume of autologous chondrocyte implantation surgeries
- Committed to developing new technologies to make meniscus treatment and cartilage repair safer and more reproducible
- Focused on integrating clinical and basic science expertise to develop the next generation of cartilage repair options for our patients