Endocrinologists at the Penn Thyroid Center specialize in the evaluation, diagnosis and comprehensive treatment of thyroid nodules, thyroid cancer and other thyroid disorders.
Penn endocrinologists at the Penn Thyroid Center treat thyroid disorders including:
Thyroid Nodule Clinic at Penn
More than 12 million Americans have thyroid nodules that require medical evaluation. In addition, the annual incidence of thyroid cancer is rapidly rising and its rate of increase outpaces that of all other malignancies.
The thyroid nodule clinic at Penn combines the latest diagnostic and imaging technology with treatments for thyroid nodules and thyroid cancer for which Penn is known.
Susan Mandel, MD, is an international leader and expert in the diagnosis, evaluation and treatment of thyroid nodules and thyroid cancer. Dr. Mandel created the model for thyroid nodule evaluative services, and created Penn's thyroid nodule clinic, which is the only one of its kind in the tri-state area.
The thyroid nodule clinic is comprised of a multidisciplinary team of experts from endocrinology, radiology, surgery, nuclear medicine, pathology and cytology. Together, they diagnosis and evaluate patients – often providing preliminary reports the same day.
The Penn Difference in Thyroid Treatment
Penn endocrinologists at the Penn Thyroid Center and thyroid nodule clinic are international and national leaders and experts in thyroid disorders and thyroid cancer care.
- Penn's Abramson Cancer Center has the largest thyroid cancer program on the East Coast.
- Susan Mandel, MD, developed the first thyroid nodule clinic in the country, and developed a thyroid nodule clinic – the nation's second – at Penn.
- Penn's thyroid nodule clinic is the only clinic of its kind in the tri-state area.
- The Penn Thyroid Center has an on-site pathologist, providing patients with rapid diagnoses.
- Dr. Mandel is an international leader in thyroid care, and has written widely regarded guidelines for the care of thyroid nodules as well as thyroid disorders in pregnant women.
- Patients at Penn have access to clinical trials for thyroid cancer and thyroid disorders.
- Penn is the only center in the Philadelphia region using dosimetry for thyroid cancer patients. Dosimetry is an instrument that measures the dose of X-rays or other radiation absorbed by matter or the intensity of a source of radiation.