Acne and rosacea are common skin disorders. Although these conditions can respond to treatment with over-the-counter preparations, many cases require medical management. Penn dermatologists treat patients of all ages seeking relief from difficult to treat or chronic acne and rosacea.
Acne is a multifactorial skin disease that affects adolescents, teenagers and adults. It is estimated that three out of four teenagers have some form of acne. In addition to emotional distress, severe acne can cause scarring. It is characterized by comedones, also known as blackheads and whiteheads, pimples and cysts.
Rosacea: A Common Skin Problem
More than 16 million Americans have rosacea, a chronic condition that predominantly affects the face but can also affect other areas including the eyes. The signs and symptoms of rosacea range from mild to severe. Rosacea is characterized by:
- flushing and redness of the face
- inflammatory bumps or pimples similar to acne
- visible red blood vessels of the face
Acne and Rosacea: The Penn Difference
Penn Dermatology is a leader in treating skin conditions and diseases, including the most complex and rare diseases. The expertise of Penn Medicine's dermatologists translates into the highest quality care for the treatment and management of acne and rosacea.
- Penn specialists in acne and rosacea routinely give lectures, provide education and offer consultation to medical professionals from around the world.
- Penn dermatologists are cited in noted publications such as Best Doctors in America, Philadelphia Magazine's Top Docs™ and America's Top Doctors.
- Penn's dermatologists are among the foremost experts in the use of a broad range of therapeutic options for the treatment of acne and rosacea.
- As leaders in the field of dermatology research, Penn dermatologists offer patients access to advanced treatment options.
In This Section
Along with identifying triggers, topical and oral treatments are available. In some cases of rosacea, laser treatment is available.
Penn's world renowned Dermatologists provide expert treatment for acne & rosacea. Browse our list of physicians.
Related Departments & Divisions