Types of Weight Loss Surgery: An Overview
At Penn Medicine, we perform the highest volume of minimally invasive bariatric surgeries in the Philadelphia region. And experience matters. Studies have shown that when surgeons perform a high volume of surgeries, their patients are more likely to have the best possible outcomes.
You and your surgeon will decide which type of surgery and surgical procedure is best for you.
We offer three types of bariatic surgery, as well as perform revisional surgeries torepair or change a previous weight loss procedure. The surgical options we offer are:
- Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy, during which a a sleeve–shaped tube is created from a small portion of your stomach and the majority of your stomach is removed.
- Roux-en-Y Gastric Bypass Surgery, which restricts food intake and shortens your digestive track by creating a small gastric pouch from the upper portion of your stomach.
- Adjustable Gastric Band, which assists in weight loss by limiting your food intake.
Bariatric Surgery Approaches
We are also highly skilled and experienced in minimally invasive surgical techniques, including laparoscopic and robotic bariatric surgery. As a leading academic medical center, Penn Medicine bariatric surgeons not only perform high volumes of minimally invasive surgery, but also teach the next generation.
Robotic surgery enables us to have increased precision and control, especially for more complex cases.
Robotic bariatric surgery may offer many benefits including:
- Potential for fewer complications for certain individuals
- Less pain and scarring
- Lower risk of infection rates
- A shorter hospital stay and quicker return home
- Much lower rate of gastrointestinal leaks
- Lower risk of needing follow-up surgery
As an alternative to open surgery, Laparoscopic Bariatric Surgery (minimally invasive surgery) allows you to recover faster. Other benefits include:
- Less post-operative pain
- Shorter hospital stays
- A reduced rate of infection
- Less blood loss
- Smaller scars
In This Section
Learn more about what VSG surgery involves and whether a sleeve gastrectomy could be an option for you at Penn Medicine.
Learn more about laparoscopic gastric banding and how gastric band surgery can promote weight loss by limiting food intake.
Learn more about gastric bypass surgery at Penn Medicine, including what to expect and potential side effects.
Find the coverage and policy informational for bariatric revision surgery, including information on specific revision procedures.