Students from all podiatric schools are welcome to apply for a one-month rotation with our program, although preference is given to students in the top 50% of their class.
The program participates in the CASPR matching process and information regarding the program can be found on the online CASPR Directory of Podiatric Residency Program.
The program does not offer any housing or housing stipend to externs. Externs must provide their own transportation, parking, and meals. Attire is business casual with a white laboratory coat; scrubs will be provided for the operating room.
Extern responsibilities include:
- 15 minute presentation, topic of presentation should be approved by the Academic Chief
- Participation in all assigned surgical cases, clinics, and academic meetings
- One weekend day in-house call shift
- Participating in morning sign-in and rounds promptly at 6:30 am daily, unless otherwise specific
- Downey, M.S. (1991) Tarsal Coalitions A Surgical Classification J Am Podiatr Med Assoc 81 (4): 187-197
- Mote, G.A., Malay, D.S. (2010) Efficacy of Power-pulsed Lavage in Lower Extremity Wound Infections: A Prospective Observational Study J Foot Ankle Surg 49: 135-142
- Vogler, H.W., Westlin, N., Mlodzienski, A.J., Moller, F.B. (1995) Fifth Metatarsal Fractures: Biomechanics, Classification, and Treatment Clinics in Podiatric Med Surg 12 (4): 725-747
- Astion, D.J., Deland, J.T., Otis, J.C., Kenneally, S. (1997) Motion of the Hindfoot after Simulated Arthrodesis J Bone Joint Surg 79-A: 241-6
- Lipsky, B.A., Berendt, A.R., Comia, P.B., Pile, J.C., Senneville, E., et al (2012) 2012 Infectious Disease Society of America Clinical Practice Guideline for the Diagnosis and Treatment of Diabetic Foot Infections Clinical Inf Dis 54 (12): 132-173
- Johnson, K.A., Strom, D.E. (1989) Tibialis Posterior Tendon Dysfunction Clin Orthop Related Research 239: 196-206
- Myerson, M.K., (1997) Adult Acquired Flatfoot Deformity J Bone Joint Surg 78-A (5): 780-792
- Pinzur, M.S., (2008) Simple Solutions for Difficult Problems: A Beginner's Guide to Ring Fixation Foot Ankle Clin N Am 13: 1-13
- Schaffer, J.J., Manoli, A. (1987) The antiglide plate for distal fibular fixation. A biomechanical comparison with fixation with a lateral plate J Bone Joint Surg 69: 596-604
- Sorrento, D.L., Mlodzienski, A.J. (2000) Incidence of Lateral Talar Dome Lesions in SER IV Ankle Fractures J Foot Ankle Surg 39(6): 354-358
- Yablon, I.G., Heller, F.G., Shouse, L. (1977) The key role of the lateral malleolus in displaced fractures on the ankle J Bone Joint Surg 59: 169-173
- Mahan, K.T., Hillstrom, H.J. (1998) Bone Grafting in Foot and Ankle Surgery J Am Podiatr Med Assoc 88(3): 109-118