Gastrointestinal cancers (a group of cancers that affect the digestive system) can act in unpredictable ways. At the Abramson Cancer Center, our renowned specialists use leading-edge treatments to care for the full spectrum of gastrointestinal (GI) cancers with exceptional skill and support.
Gastrointestinal Cancer Care: The Abramson Cancer Center Advantage
At Penn Medicine, our doctors are deeply committed to delivering the most cutting-edge care with compassion. Our teamwork makes all the difference in GI cancer treatment. Our multidisciplinary team includes experienced surgeons, medical oncologists, radiation oncologists, gastroenterologists and researchers who work together to improve your life and well-being.
When you choose us for gastrointestinal cancer care, you can expect:
- Comprehensive care for all GI cancers: We provide the full spectrum of screening, diagnosis, treatment and support services for all cancers affecting the digestive tract. We have expertise in common and rare types of gastrointestinal cancer, including advanced metastatic disease. We also treat more rare GI cancers like neuroendocrine tumors (cancers that can occur in the GI tract but are treated very differently). Our pathologists run tests that analyze your individual cancer cells to help our physicians recommend the most effective treatments for you, with the fewest side effects.
- World-class experts: Our fellowship-trained doctors dedicate their careers to treating cancers of the digestive tract. Many of our specialists have received recognition as Philadelphia Magazine’s Best Doctors and Best Doctors in America®. Some are international leaders in surgery, specialized radiation techniques, unique clinical trials and therapies, and dedicated GI cancer genetics. Meet our GI cancer specialists.
- Innovative therapies: As one of the top GI cancer programs in the US, we offer you more of today’s leading treatment options, including cutting-edge clinical trials. We were the first in the region to offer proton therapy (a specialized radiation therapy). Our skilled surgeons perform complex cancer surgeries that offer additional choices for people with advanced disease. Our medical oncologists offer clinical trial options for every stage of your disease. Find a clinical trial.
- Support at every step: Our specially trained GI oncology nurse navigators get you in front of the right specialists quickly and help you navigate the next steps in your care. Our easy-to-use patient portal means our team is never far away when you need us.
- GI cancer care, near you: The Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania in Philadelphia is home base for many members of our team. Here you can receive much of the care you need under one roof. But our coordinated approach ensures the same quality and treatment options at all Abramson Cancer Center locations in the region. Our GI multidisciplinary clinics bring together all the specialists in our network to discuss your case and provide you with the best opinion.
- Leaders in GI cancer research: Penn is a leader in notable breakthrough cancer advances such as CAR-T cell immunotherapy. We are one of the nation’s largest centers devoted to studying gastrointestinal tumors. Our physicians and scientists continually push for life-changing improvements via new treatments and earlier detection techniques for all types of GI cancer. Learn more about GI cancer research.
GI Cancer Expertise Focused on Your Whole Health
Living with cancer is different for every person. At Penn, cancer treatment is about more than treating the physical effects. We get to know you on a personal level and recommend treatments tailored to your health and your life.
Our team includes palliative care doctors, nutrition experts and many others who work together to address how cancer and treatment impact you and your loved ones. We guide you to a broad spectrum of support services to improve your well-being, so you can enjoy a fuller quality of life. We work to make every day of your life the best it can be.
Learn more about navigating GI cancer and the expansive GI cancer support services available to you
Request an Appointment
Call 215-615-5858 to speak with one of our GI cancer experts. You can also request an appointment using our online form.