In the United States, more than 93 million people — or nearly 40 percent of the population — are affected by obesity. And by 2030, an estimated 51 percent of Americans will be diagnosed with the chronic disease.
But it doesn’t have to be this way.
Join us on Sunday, June 9, to take a step in the right direction at the ASMBS Foundation’s Walk from Obesity. Sponsored by Penn Medicine’s Metabolic and Bariatric Program, the walk supports obesity research, educational programs, and access to care initiatives. We strive to combat obesity and obesity-related conditions including heart disease, stroke, and type 2 diabetes, which are among the leading causes of preventable and premature death.
You are invited to walk or run at your own pace alongside bariatric surgery alumni, Penn staff and faculty. You can run or walk as much or as little as you’d like.
“It’s a great time for clinicians, family members, and friends to come out and support others and raise money for a much needed cause,” said Bariatric Program Manager Colleen Tewksbury, PhD, MPH, RD, LDN. “Research around bariatric surgery is not where we’d like it to be due to limited funds. Walks like these raise money to conduct research to help us better understand obesity and bariatric surgery.
The Walk from Obesity will begin at 10:30 a.m. on Sunday, June 9, 2019, in Penn Park, 3000 Walnut St., Philadelphia.
- Early bird registration is available until May 9 for $20 with the promo code "FUNDRAISE".
- Once that deadline passes, registration will cost $25 online through June 7.
- You can also register on event day for $35. Race-day registration begins at 9:30 a.m. at Shoemaker Green, 217 South 33rd St., Philadelphia.
- Children younger than 12 are invited to participate free of charge with a registered parent or guardian.
- Prizes including medals, gift cards, and more will be awarded to the individuals and teams who raise the most money.
- All registered participants will receive a free Walk from Obesity T-shirt and bag.
Learn more about the Walk from Obesity and register today to take a step toward a healthier future!