Description of Research Expertise:
2011 – present Principal Investigator, Thoracic Oncology Service, Department of Radiation Oncology, Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania
• Non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC)
1. Lead clinical trials assessing the safety and efficacy of using proton-based concurrent chemoradiation as definitive therapy and as part of trimodality therapy prior to planned surgical resection for locally advanced NSCLC.
2. Lead clinical trials detecting circulating tumor cells in patients with NSCLC undergoing definitive radiotherapy or chemoradiotherapy.
3. Author clinical protocols assessing the safety and efficacy of stereotactic body (ablative) radiotherapy for early-stage central and peripheral primary tumors.
4. Assess factors predicting for pulmonary fibrosis and determine ways to mitigate against late radiation-induce lung injury.
5. Assess the differences in normal tissue irradiation doses, patient toxicities, and clinical outcomes between proton therapy and photon therapy for locally advanced NSCLC.
6. Analyze tumor motion and determine ways to account for and mitigate this motion to facilitate treatment with pencil beam scanning proton therapy.
7. Compare the efficacy and toxicity of stereotactic body radiotherapy to surgical lobectomy and surgical wedge resection for stage I NSCLC.
8. Assess how local control is influences by fractionation regimen, tumor size, tumor location, and patient operability status for stage I NSCLC.
9. Assess the safety and efficacy of thoracic reirradiation using proton beam radiation therapy and stereotactic body radiotherapy.
10. Assess the correlation between tumor response to chemotherapy and radiation therapy.
11. Asses the role of conventionally fractionated radiation therapy and stereotactic body radiotherapy in stage IV disease for palliation and as definitive therapy in patients with oligometastatic disease.
12. Assess the use of metformin as a radiosensitizer for lung cancer.
13. Assess patient and treatment parameters correlating with the development of radiation pneumonitis.
14. Generate machine learning algorithms to predict for treatment toxicities and tumor control probabilities after stereotactic body radiotherapy and after chemoradiation for lung cancer.
15. Lead clinical trials assessing cardiac radiographic and biomarker changes and alterations in cardiac function following definitive thoracic radiation therapy.
16. Lead clinical trials combining radiation therapy and immunotherapy for NSCLC.
• Small cell lung cancer (SCLC)
1. Author clinical protocols attempting to decrease toxicities of concurrent radiation therapy and chemotherapy by administering low-dose rate radiation therapy to exploit the limited ability of SCLC to repair sublethal damage.
2. Dosimetric research comparing proton and photon radiation therapy to determine the optimal therapy and target volumes to treat SCLC.
3. Author clinical protocols attempting to decrease toxicities of concurrent radiation therapy and chemotherapy by applying adaptive therapy treatment techniques to exploit the typically rapid tumor volume reduction of SCLC with radiation therapy.
4. Assess how radiation-induced fibrosis evolves over time, determine how the development of radiographic pulmonary fibrosis correlates with respiratory symptoms and quality of life, and determine factors that are predictive for the development of late fibrosis.
5. Assess effects on radiation-induced pulmonary fibrosis and esophagitis according to radiation therapy field designs and treatment techniques.
6. Assess the impact of PET scan staging on overall survival for limited-stage SCLC.
7. Assess the role of advanced imaging in assessing response to definitive chemoradiation prior to prophylactic cranial irradiation in limited-stage SCLC.
8. Quantify the benefit of prophylactic cranial irradiation for patients with limited-stage and extensive-stage SCLC.
2011 – present Principal Investigator, Penn Mesothelioma and Pleural Program, Department of Radiation Oncology, Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania
• Malignant Pleural Mesothelioma (MPM)
1. Author clinical randomized trials assessing the efficacy of photodynamic therapy delivered intraoperatively in conjunction radical pleurectomy for MPM.
2. Assess the safety and efficacy of extrapleural pneumonectomy or radical pleurectomy when combined with intraoperative photodynamic therapy.
3. Quantify the willingness of patients to participate in a phase II/III randomized control trial of radical pleurectomy with or without intraoperative photodynamic therapy for MPM.
4. Correlate radiologic estimates of tumor volume and intraoperative tumor volume with survival for MPM.
5. Author clinical protocols assessing the safety and efficacy of pleural intensity-modulated radiotherapy (IMRT) and definitive proton therapy for MPM.
6. Assess the patterns of failure following radical pleurectomy and extrapleural pneumonectomy following surgery alone or in combination with intraoperative photodynamic therapy and/or adjuvant radiation therapy and determine factors associated with local and distant disease recurrence.
7. Determine factors associated with an early recurrence following radical pleurectomy and intraoperative photodynamic therapy and assess how early recurrence impacts survival.
8. Assess the benefit of prophylactic radiotherapy of surgical tracts following radical pleurectomy and intraoperative photodynamic therapy.
9. Assess the differential prognosis of lymph nodes pathologically determined to harbor metastasis during of radical pleurectomy and determine the importance of intercostal nodal metastases.
1. Assess the efficacy of surgery, photodynamic therapy, and radiation therapy for the treatment of NSCLC in patients with pleural metastasis.
Simone CB II, Wildt B, Haas AR, Pope G, Rengan R, Hahn SM: Stereotactic body radiation therapy for lung cancer Chest 143 (6): 1784-1790,2013.
Simone CB II, Rengan R: The use of proton therapy in the treatment of lung
cancers Cancer J 20 (6): 427-432,2014.
Berman AT, Ellenberg SS, Simone CB: Predicting survival in non-small-cell lung cancer using positron emission tomography: several conclusions from multiple comparisons. J Clin Oncol 32 (15): 1631-2,2014.
Simone CB II, Friedberg JS, Glatstein E, Stevenson JP, Sterman DH, Hahn SM, Cengel KA: Photodynamic therapy for the treatment of non-small cell lung cancer J Thorac Dis 4 (1): 63-75,2012.
Simone CB II, Vapiwala N, Hampshire MK, Metz JM: Palliative care in the management of lung cancer: analgesic utilization and barriers to optimal pain management J Opioid Manag 8 (1): 9-16,2012.
Simone CB II, Vapiwala N, Hampshire MK, Metz JM: Internet-based survey evaluating use of pain medications and attitudes of radiation oncology patients toward pain intervention Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 72 (1): 127-133,2008.
Mayer R, Liacouras P, Thomas A, Kang M, Lin L, Simone CB II: 3D printer generated thorax phantom with mobile tumor for radiation dosimetry Rev Sci Instrum 86 (7): 074301,2015.
Quon H, Simone CB II, Cengel K, Finlay JC, Zhu TC, Busch TM: Photodynamic Therapy in the Management of Cancer Perez and Brady’s Principles of Practice of Radiation Oncology, 6th Edition : 539-551,2013.
Rimner A, Simone CB II, Zauderer MG, Cengel KA, Rusch VW: Hemithoracic radiotherapy for mesothelioma: lack of benefit or lack of statistical power? Lancet Oncol 17 (2): e43-44,2016.
Wei R, Simone CB II, Lutz S: Society for palliative radiation oncology: founding, vision, and report from the Second Annual Meeting Ann Palliat Med 5 (1): 74-75,2016.
Simone CB II: Quality of life, predictions of survival, feeding options, and symptom control for patients with advanced disease Ann Palliat Med 5 (1): E1-3,2016.
Berman AT, Simone CB II: Immunotherapy in locally-advanced non-small cell lung cancer: releasing the brakes on consolidation? Transl Lung Cancer Res 5 (1): 138-142,2016.
Verma V, Simone CB II, Zhen W: Stereotactic Radiotherapy for Stage I Small Cell Lung Cancer Oncologist 21 (2): 131-133,2016.
Simone CB II: Pain and quality of life in palliative care Ann Palliat Med 4 (4): E1-4,2015.
Simone CB II, Burri SH, Heinzerling JH: Novel radiotherapy approaches for lung cancer: combining radiation therapy with targeted and immunotherapies Transl Lung Cancer Res 4 (5): 545-552,2015.
Xu MJ, Dorsey JF, Amaravadi R, Karakousis G, Simone CB II, Xu X, Xu W, Carpenter EL, Schuchter L, Kao GD: Circulating tumor cells, DNA, and mRNA: potential for clinical utility in patients with melanoma Oncologist 21 (1): 84-94,2016.
Simone CB II: Early palliative care and integration of palliative care models in modern oncology practices Ann Palliat Med 4 (3): 84-86,2015.
Simone CB II, Dorsey JF: Additional data in the debate on stage I non-small cell lung cancer: surgery versus stereotactic ablative radiotherapy Ann Transl Med 3 (13): 172,2015.
Houshmand S, Boursi B, Salavati A, Simone CB 2nd, Alavi A: Applications of Fluorodeoxyglucose PET/Computed Tomography in the Assessment and Prediction of Radiation Therapy-related Complications PET Clin 10 (4): 555-71,2015.
Lin L, Kang M, Huang S, Mayer R, Thomas A, Solberg TD, McDonough JE, Simone CB II: Beam-specific planning target volumes incorporating 4D CT for pencil beam scanning proton therapy of thoracic tumors J Appl Clin Med Phys 16 (6): 5678,2015.
Jones JA, Simone CB II: Whole brain radiotherapy for patients with poor prognosis: possibilities for the impact of the QUARTZ trial Ann Palliat Med 4 (2): 58-60,2015.
Gallagher-Colombo SM, Quon H, Malloy KM, Ahn PH, Cengel KA, Simone CB II, Chalian AA, O’Malley BM, Weinstein GS, Zhu TC, Putt ME, Finlay JC, Busch TM: Measuring the Physiologic Properties of Oral Lesions Receiving Fractionated Photodynamic Therapy Photochem Photobiol 91 (5): 1210-8,2015.
Zhu TC, Kim MM, Jacques SL, Penjweini R, Dimofte A, Finlay JC, Simone CB II, Cengel KA, Friedberg J: Real-time treatment light dose guidance of Pleural PDT: an update Proc SPIE Int Soc Opt Eng 9308 (930809): 1-6,2015.
Simone CB II: Palliative care: from medicine to surgery, from adults to children, and from calls to action to community approaches to advanced care planning Ann Palliat Med 4 (1): 1-2,2015.
Gaertner J, Lutz S, Chow E, Simone CB II: Integrating palliative care and oncology: towards a common understanding Ann Palliat Med 4 (1): 3-4,2015.
Mallory M, Gogineni E, Jones GC, Greer L, Simone CB II: Therapeutic hyperthermia: The old, the new, and the upcoming Crit Rev Oncol Hematol 97 : 55-64,2016.
Zhu TC, Liang X, Kim MM, Finlay JC, Dimofte A, Rodriguez C, Simone CB II, Friedberg JS, Cengel KA: An IR navigation system for pleural PDT Front Phys 3 (9): 10.3389/fphy.2015.00009,2015.
Cengel KA, Simone CB II, Busch TM: Vascular Effects of Photodynamic Therapy for Tumors Handbook of Photodynamic Therapy: Updates on Recent Applications of Porphyrin-Based Compounds : 2016 (in press).
Jones G, Dong T, Simone CB II, Stinson S: Are the Conclusions of Z11 Relevant to Community Practice? Clin Breast Cancer 15 (4): 285-288,2015.
Hymel R, Jones GC, Simone CB II: Whole pelvic intensity-modulated radiotherapy for gynecological malignancies: A review of the literature Crit Rev Oncol Hematol 94 (3): 371-379,2015.
Wink KC, Roelofs E, Solberg T, Lin L, Simone CB II, Jakobi A, Richter C, Lambin P, Troost EG: Particle therapy for non-small cell lung tumors: where do we stand? A systematic review of the literature Front Oncol 4 : 292,2014.
Simone CB II: Quality of life, heart rate, breathing, and pain: palliative care parameters and symptoms Ann Palliat Med 3 (4): 236-237,2014.
Ojerholm E, Alonso-Basanta M, Simone CB II: Stereotactic radiosurgery alone for small cell lung cancer: a neurocognitive benefit? Radiat Oncol 9 (1): 218,2014.
Zou W, Yin L, Shen J, Corradetti MN, Kirk M, Munbodh R, Fang P, Jabbour SK, Simone CB II, Yue NJ, Rengan R, Teo BK: Dynamic simulation of motion effects in IMAT lung SBRT Radiat Oncol 9 : 225,2014.
Kralik JC, Xi L, Solberg TD, Simone CB II, Lin L: Comparing proton treatment plans of pediatric brain tumors in two pencil beam scanning nozzles with different spot sizes J Appl Clin Med Phys 16 (6): 5389,2015.
Xanthopoulos EP, Handorf E, Simone CB II, Grover S, Fernandes AT, Sharma S, Corradetti MN, Evans TL, Langer CJ, Mitra N, Shah A, Apisarnthanarax S, Lin LL, Rengan R: Definitive dose thoracic radiation therapy in oligometastatic non-small cell lung cancer: A hypothesis-generating study Pract Radiat Oncol 5 (4): e355-63,2015.
Kesarwala AH, Ko CJ, Ning H, Xanthopoulos E, Haglund KE, O’Meara WP, Simone CB II, Rengan R: Intensity-Modulated Proton Therapy for Elective Nodal Irradiation and Involved-Field Radiation in the Definitive Treatment of Locally Advanced Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer: A Dosimetric Study Clin Lung Cancer 16 (3): 237-244,2015.
Okusanya OT, Deshpande C, Barbosa EM, Aggarwal C, Simone CB II, Jiang J, Judy R, DeJesus E, Albelda S, Nie S, Low PS, Singhal S: Molecular imaging to identify tumor recurrence following chemoradiation in a hostile surgical environment Mol Imaging 13 (0): 1-6,2014.
Simone CB II: The state of oncology in 2014 and the role of palliative care for advanced and metastatic malignancies Ann Palliat Med 3 (3): 123-5,2014.
Simone CB II, Jones JA: Multidisciplinary Approaches to Palliation for Advanced and Metastatic Malignancies Ann Palliat Med 3 (3): 123-235,2014.
Cengel KA, Simone CB II: Association between white blood cell count following radiation therapy and radiation pneumonitis in non-small cell lung cancer. In regard to Tang et al. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 90 (1): 240,2014.
Shah A, Hahn SM, Simone CB II: How important are willingness to participate studies in encouraging patient enrollment in oncology trials? Clin Investig (Lond) 4 (5): 383-5,2014.
Simone CB II: Current focus and future advances for Annals of Palliative Medicine Ann Palliat Med 3 (2): 37-8,2014.
Simone CB II, Cengel KA: Definitive surgery and intraoperative photodynamic therapy: a prospective study of local control and survival for patients with pleural dissemination of non-small cell lung cancer Proc SPIE 8931 (89310Y): 1-11,2014.
Csiki I, Teo K, Lin L, Simone CB II: The Art of Delivering Stereotatic Body Radiotherapy for Early-Stage Non-small Cell Lung Cancer: Treatment Techniques and Outcomes J Vis Exp : 2015 (in press).
Jones JA, Simone CB II: Palliative radiotherapy for advanced malignancies in a changing oncologic landscape: guiding principles and practice implementation Ann Palliat Med 3 (3): 192-202,2014.
Simone CB II, Jones JA: Multidisciplinary approaches to palliative oncology care Ann Palliat Med 3 (3): 126-8,2014.
Dorsey JF, Kao GD, MacArthur KM, Ju M, Steinmetz D, Wileyto EP, Simone CB II, Hahn SM: Tracking viable circulating tumor cells (CTCs) in the peripheral blood of non-small cell lung cancer patients undergoing definitive radiation therapy: Pilot study results Cancer 121 (1): 139-149,2015.
Geiger Geoffrey A, Kim Miranda B, Xanthopoulos Eric P, Pryma Daniel A, Grover Surbhi, Plastaras John P, Langer Corey J, Simone Charles B, Rengan Ramesh: Stage migration in planning PET/CT scans in patients due to receive radiotherapy for non-small-cell lung cancer. Clin Lung Cancer 15 (1): 79-85,2014.
Aggarwal Charu, Shi William Y, Watt Christopher D, van Deerlin Vivianna M, Haas Andrew R, Simone Charles B, Yu Gordon H: Ectopic Hypercellular Parathyroid Tissue of the Mediastinum Masquerading As Metastatic Adenocarcinoma on Positron Emission Tomography-Computed Tomography Scan. J Clin Oncol 32 (20): e101-3,2014.
Tanwar M, Simone CB II, Newman S, Cengel K, Yu GH, Melhem ER, Mohan S: Perineural spread of malignant mesothelioma with spinal intramedullary involvement. Clin Neurol Neurosurg 120 : 116-9,2014.
Simone CB II, Jones JA: Palliative care for patients with locally advanced and metastatic non-small cell lung cancer Ann Palliat Med 2 (4): 178-188,2013.
Simone CB II, Friedberg JS, Glatstein E, Stevenson JP, Sterman DH, Hahn SM, Cengel KA: Photodynamic therapy for the treatment of non-small cell lung cancer Int J Pathol Clin Med 33 (3): 185-197,2013.
Xanthopoulos EP, Corradetti MN, Mitra N, Fernandes AT, Kim M, Grover S, Christodouleas JP, Evans TL, Stevenson JP, Langer CJ, Lee TT, Pryma DA, Lin LL, Simone CB II, Apisarnthanarax S, Rengan R: Impact of PET Staging in Limited-Stage Small-Cell Lung Cancer J Thorac Oncol 8 (7): 899-905,2013.
Simone CB II, John-Aryankalayil M, Palayoor ST, Makinde AY, Cerna D, Falduto MT, Magnuson SR, Coleman CN: mRNA Expression Profiles for Prostate Cancer following Fractionated Irradiation Are Influenced by p53 Status Transl Oncol 6 (5): 573-585,2013.
Simone CB II, Hahn SM: What's in a Label? Radioimmunotherapy for Metastatic Prostate Cancer Clin Cancer Res 19 (18): 4908-10,2013.
Simone CB II, Culligan M, Friedberg JS, Cengel KA: Photodynamic Therapy for Pleural Malignancies Handbook of Photomedicine : 495-502,2013.
Corradetti MN, Mitra N, Bonner-Millar LP, Byun J, Wan F, Apisarnthanarax S, Christodouleas J, Anderson N, Simone CB II, Teo BK, Rengan R: A moving target: Image guidance for stereotactic body radiation therapy for early-stage non-small cell lung cancer Pract Radiat Oncol 3 (4): 307-315,2013.
John-Aryankalayil M, Palayoor ST, Makinde AY, Cerna D, Simone CB II, Falduto MT, Magnuson SR, Coleman CN: Fractionated radiation alters oncomir and tumor suppressor miRNAs in human prostate cancer cells Radiat Res 178 (3): 105-117,2012.
Simone CB II, Morris JC, Stewart DM, Urquhart NE, Janik JE, Kreitman RJ, Lita E, Conlon K, Wharfe G, Waldmann TA, Kaushal A: Radiation therapy for the management of patients with HTLV-1-associated adult T-cell leukemia/lymphoma Blood 120 (9): 1816-1819,2012.
Simone CB II, Ly D, Dan TD, Ondos J, Ning H, Belard A, O'Connell J, Miller RW, Simone NL: Comparison of intensity-modulated radiotherapy, adaptive radiotherapy, proton radiotherapy, and adaptive proton radiotherapy for treatment of locally advanced head and neck cancer Radiother Oncol 101 (3): 376-382,2011.
Simone CB II: The role of palliative care in patients with NSCLC Curr Med Lit Lung Cancer 5 (1): 1-16,2011.
Simone CB II, Hampshire MK, Vachani C, Metz JM: The utilization of an oncology web-based resource in Spanish-speaking Internet users Am J Clin Oncol 35 (6): 520-526,2012.
Simone CB II, Vapiwala N, Hampshire MK, Metz JM: Cancer patient attitudes toward analgesic usage and pain intervention Clin J Pain 82 (1): 242-249,2012.
Simone CB II, Lonser RR, Ondos J, Oldfield EH, Camphausen K, Simone NL: Infratentorial craniospinal irradiation for von Hippel-Lindau: a retrospective study supporting a new treatment for patients with CNS hemangioblastomas Neuro Oncol 13 (9): 1030-1036,2011.
Simone CB II: Secondary abdominal-pelvic malignancies attributable to diagnostic radiation exposure in patients with testicular malignancies J Clin Oncol 30 (1): 113-114,2012.
Simone CB, Simone CB II: Re: Should Supplemental Antioxidant Administration Be Avoided During Chemotherapy and Radiation Therapy? J Natl Cancer Inst 100 (21): 1558-1559,2008.
Simone CB II, Kramer K, O'Meara WP, Bekelman JE, Belard JL, McDonough J, O'Connell J: Predicted rates of secondary malignancies from proton versus photon radiation therapy for stage I seminoma. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 82 (1): 242-249,2012.
John-Aryankalayil M, Palayoor ST, Cerna D, Simone CB II, Falduto MT, Magnuson SR, Coleman CN: Fractionated radiation therapy can induce a molecular profile for therapeutic targeting Radiat Res 174 (4): 446-458,2010.
View all publications