PA) - John B. Weigele, PhD, MD, has been appointed
Assistant Professor in the Department of Radiology,
at the University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine.
Dr. Weigele earned his PhD in Biochemistry from the
University of Pennsylvania and his MD from the University
of Pennsylvania School of Medicine in 1982. He completed
his internship at Presbyterian Medical Center and residency
in Radiology at the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania
(HUP). Dr. Weigele held fellowships at several medical
institutions, including a fellowship in Vascular and
Interventional Radiology at State University of New
York (SUNY) Health Science Center, Syracuse; a fellowship
in Body MR Imaging at HUP; a fellowship in Neuroradiology
at Georgetown University Medical Center, the National
Institutes of Health, and Johns Hopkins Hospital; and,
a fellowship in Interventional Neuroradiology at the
University of Iowa Hospital and Clinics.
His research focuses on developing new ways to treat
blood vessel abnormalities of the brain and spinal cord,
and evaluating percutaneous vertebroplasty, a new method
to treat painful vertebral (back) compression fractures.
Dr. Weigele is a senior member of the American Society
of Neuroradiology and a member of the American College
of Radiology, American Roentgen Ray Society, American
Medical Association, Radiologic Society of North America,
American Heart Association-Cardiovascular Council, and
the American Society of Interventional and Therapeutic
Neuroradiology, among others. He has been published
in peer-reviewed publications and book chapters including
the Journal of Neurosurgery, Radiology, Magnetic
Resonance Quarterly, Proceedings of the National Academy
of Sciences, Neurosurgery, Journal of Neurochemistry,
Journal of Physiology (London), Advances in Neurology
and Essentials in Musculoskeletal Imaging.
# # #
Penn Medicine is one of the world's leading academic medical centers, dedicated to the related missions of medical education, biomedical research, and excellence in patient care. Penn Medicine consists of the Raymond and Ruth Perelman School of Medicine at the University of Pennsylvania (founded in 1765 as the nation's first medical school) and the University of Pennsylvania Health System, which together form a $5.3 billion enterprise.
The Perelman School of Medicine has been ranked among the top five medical schools in the United States for the past 18 years, according to U.S. News & World Report's survey of research-oriented medical schools. The School is consistently among the nation's top recipients of funding from the National Institutes of Health, with $373 million awarded in the 2015 fiscal year.
The University of Pennsylvania Health System's patient care facilities include: The Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania and Penn Presbyterian Medical Center -- which are recognized as one of the nation's top "Honor Roll" hospitals by U.S. News & World Report -- Chester County Hospital; Lancaster General Health; Penn Wissahickon Hospice; and Pennsylvania Hospital -- the nation's first hospital, founded in 1751. Additional affiliated inpatient care facilities and services throughout the Philadelphia region include Chestnut Hill Hospital and Good Shepherd Penn Partners, a partnership between Good Shepherd Rehabilitation Network and Penn Medicine.
Penn Medicine is committed to improving lives and health through a variety of community-based programs and activities. In fiscal year 2015, Penn Medicine provided $253.3 million to benefit our community.