Penn Medicine has the #1 heart program in the region, offering the latest innovative treatments and a world-renowned research program that develops new medical and surgical approaches.
Penn Medicine has been diagnosing and treating conditions of the heart for the international community for decades. We have a reputation for providing the highest level of care due to our cardiac experts who use the most advanced treatment options and therapies. We house one of the largest research programs that is focused on pursuing new advances in prevention, diagnosis and treatment of heart and vascular conditions.
Penn has the Philadelphia region's largest program for cardiac arrhythmia, valve disease, heart failure and heart transplant. We are recognized as an international leader in the field of aortic and mitral valve repair and replacement. Our heart valve specialists lead the way in the development of new techniques and devices for heart valve disease. Penn is among the largest providers of heart valve care in the region, performing more than 1,000 valve procedures annually.
Our patients benefit from a comprehensive range of cardiac services. We provide preventive and consultative services, diagnostic imaging and testing and the latest drug therapies. We specialize in mechanical heart-assist devices and surgical treatment options that can be found at only the most advanced medical centers.
Heart and Vascular Treatment Options
International patients come to us for our track record of success with difficult and complex cases. In some situations, they have experienced failed procedures elsewhere and are referred to us.
Our treatment services for heart and vascular conditions include:
- Minimally-invasive surgical procedures
- Electrophysiology-- Penn electrophysiologists are world leaders in corrective therapies that cure complex heart rhythm disorders.
- Surgical procedures
- Coronary artery bypass graft surgery
- Implantable devices
- Other open-heart procedures
- Heart transplant
- Penn Medicine has the largest heart transplant center in the region and one of the top three heart transplant programs in the country. Our surgeons have performed more than 1,000 heart transplants since the program began in 1988—more than all of the other centers in the region combined.
- Penn's survival rates exceed national standards.
- Penn offers specialized care for cancer patients and survivors. We are one of a few in the nation that brings together specialists in both cardiology and oncology to protect and treat your heart at every stage of cancer and beyond.
Penn Heart and Vascular Center in detail