International patients come to Penn Medicine's Abramson Cancer Center to see our cancer experts and state-of-the-art technology.
Penn Medicine’s Abramson Cancer Center is a world-renowned cancer facility. International patients arrive year-round to receive treatment for cancers that require high expertise and advanced technology. U.S. News & World Report
ranks the Abramson Cancer Center as the highest in the Philadelphia region for our breakthrough treatment options and comprehensive care. Here, you will find support for you and your family and a caring staff that places your personal, cultural or religious values first.
The Abramson Cancer Center is one of a select group of cancer centers in the United States awarded the prestigious designation of Comprehensive Cancer Center by the National Cancer Institute. We are also a national leader in developing and conducting clinical trials for the prevention, diagnosis and treatment of cancer. Our services include breakthrough treatment options like vaccine therapy and proton therapy that are available in only a few places in the world.
The Abramson Cancer Center recognizes that each cancer patient is unique, with no two patient cases being exactly the same. Your treatment plan is carefully designed to meet your needs and treatment goals. We work with you and your family every step of the way.
Your treatment options may include:
- Bone marrow and stem cell transplantation—The main purpose of stem cell transplant in cancer treatment is to make it possible for you to receive very high doses of chemotherapy and/or radiation therapy. The Abramson Cancer Center's bone marrow transplant program is one of the largest in the country, with a nationally recognized research program.
- Chemotherapy—Chemotherapy is a type of medication that can destroy cancer cells and slow or stop their ability to grow and multiply. Chemotherapy is given orally, as an injection or through an implanted port in the chest or arm.
- Clinical trials—Penn Medicine has one of the best research programs conducting studies and developing tomorrow’s medicine. Clinical trials provide a way to explore the most effective means to prevent, diagnose and treat cancer.
- Hormone therapy—Most often used to treat breast and prostate cancers, hormone therapy uses drugs to slow the growth of cancer cells. Hormone therapy blocks the production or the effects of estrogen, progesterone or testosterone and helps stop cancer from growing.
- Immunotherapy—Immunotherapy is a treatment that uses certain parts of your immune system to fight cancer. Penn Medicine is leading the development of breakthrough treatments like immunotherapy, in which vaccines are created from the patient's own cells to fight the cancer.
- Integrative oncology services—We offer complementary and holistic wellness such as yoga, meditation, reiki, acupuncture, art therapy and massage that have shown to provide relief and improvement during cancer treatment.
- Radiation treatment—Radiation treatment uses X-rays or other high-energy rays to kill cancer cells and shrink tumors. Radiation treatment is an effective treatment for many types of cancers in almost any part of the body. The Abramson Cancer Center offers sophisticated, advanced radiation technology for cancer treatment including CyberKnife, Gamma Knife and Proton Therapy, one of science’s most sophisticated weapons against cancer. Penn Medicine has the largest and most advanced facility in the world for proton therapy.
- Surgery—Surgical procedures include tissue retrieval, to confirm cancer, and tumor extraction. Penn Medicine is a leader in laser surgery, minimally-invasive surgery, reconstructive surgery, robotic surgery and Trans Oral robotic surgery (TORS).
- Targeted therapy—Targeted molecular therapy is a type of personalized medical therapy designed to treat cancer by interrupting unique molecular abnormalities that drive cancer growth. The drugs used in targeted therapy are designed to interfere with a specific biochemical pathway central to the development, growth, and spread of that particular cancer.
- Vaccine therapy—Medical oncologists at the Abramson Cancer Center are internationally recognized for the use of vaccines to stimulate the immune system in the treatment of cancer. We provide specialized cancer treatment and support teams to coordinate overall patient care and direct immunotherapy and other related treatments.
Support Services for Cancer Patients
In addition to treatment, the Abramson Cancer Center offers a full range of supportive care services for you and your family, including:
- Complementary and holistic therapies like yoga and meditation
- Nutritional counseling
- Pain and symptom management
- Rehabilitation services
- Stress reduction
- Survivorship planning
Penn Medicine's Abramson Cancer Center in detail