The Teen Volunteer Program at the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania provides high school students who are at least 14 years old with career exposure to a variety of healthcare professions.
Thank you for your interest in becoming a volunteer at the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania. The Summer Teen Program is designed to expose students interested in healthcare access to the operations of a world-class medical center. Volunteers will have a chance to interact with patients, observe clinicians and support hospital staff.
- Are mature and willing to adhere to hospital policies and procedures
- Interested in helping care for patients by assisting hospital staff and operations
- Are 14 years old to 18 years old (as of March 1)
- Have a professional and positive attitude about your commitment to the hospital and its patients and visitors
- Can commit to a morning shift (8am-1pm) or an afternoon shift (11am-4pm) each day of scheduled volunteering over a three-week period, Monday to Friday, during one of the follow blocks:
- Block 1 (June 25 – July 13, 2018)
- Block 2 (July 16 – August 3, 2018)
- Block 3 (August 6 – August 24, 2018)
- Exposure to hospital operations in a premier hospital
- Service to your community
- Opportunity to gain a certificate of service for completing 60 hours of service and 15 scheduled shifts of volunteering
- Meal voucher for each shift attended
- Shadowing opportunities
- Reimbursement for costs associated with the volunteer application process
- Free parking
- Medical or clinical training
- Course credits or internships
- Completion of application, immunization and health records, health system orientation including competency assessment
- Attendance every weekday of the chosen block
- Enrollment in an accredited high school for the 2017/18 academic year
- Online purchase of a volunteer jacket for approximately $25
- Assignments consist primarily of clerical, administrative, and logistical tasks
- Applicants will have access to assignment selection once a complete application is submitted, including all immunization and health records
- Assignments are distributed on a first-come, first served basis, the earlier a complete application is received, the more likely an applicant is to move forward towards receiving an assignment at HUP
- All 2018 assignment have been filled.
Questions About Volunteering
Thank you for your interest in volunteering with us at The Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania. If you have any questions, please contact the Department of Volunteer Services at 215-662-2576 or email@example.com.