The Adult Volunteer Program at the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania welcomes community members who are 18 years of age and older the opportunity to help improve the hospital experience for patients, their families, caregivers and the hospital staff.
Thank you for your interest in becoming a volunteer at the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania. We believe the adult volunteers who work side-by-side with hospital personnel are a valued resource, often hard to find. The Volunteer Services Department's first priority is to find the appropriate assignment for you — one that is desired by you and fills a hospital need for assistance.
- Have a sincere interest in people and helping others
- Are mature and willing to adhere to hospital policies and procedures
- Have a professional and positive attitude about your commitment to the hospital, its patients and visitors
- Can commitment to at least one of the following:
- Four (4) hours of volunteer service each week for six (6) months
- Monthly attendance as a patient or caregiver representative for various hospital committees or councils
- Commitment to a minimum of four (4) hours each week for six months or monthly council or committee attendance
- Application, background check, immunization/vaccination records
- Orientation prior to start date
- Must be 18 years or older
- A meaningful work experience
- An opportunity to meet new people and make new friends
- Annual volunteer appreciation and acknowledgement
- Free parking during your volunteer service
- Free hospital café voucher during your volunteer service
Volunteer assignments may exist in clinical and non-clinical locations of the hospital, including nursing units, Emergency Department, hospital offices, Guest Services, information desks and other hospitality locations. The scope of potential assignments is unlimited. Below are a few assignments we are looking to fill immediately.
- Family Caregiver Center Volunteer
- Days: Sunday-Saturday, 4-hour shift required
- Duties: Create a gracious space by understanding the unique needs of each person entering the Center. Offer emotional support and active listening without judgment or bias. Assist caregivers as needed with internet searches, resource identification, escort to hospital locations, etc.
- Skills: Friendly, outgoing, professional in appearance and demeanor, previous experience with public helpful, experience as a caregiver or patient a plus.
- Patient & Family Advisors
- Days: Monthly meeting, second Wednesday of each month. Two year commitment.
- Duties: Promote patient and family centered care through participation in quality improvement initiatives. Act as the voice of the patient and caregiver when evaluating hospital programs. Share patient or caregiver experiences at HUP as a means to provide insight and guidance to hospital projects.
- Skills: Must be a current or former HUP patient or caregiver to a HUP patient. Comfortable interacting with hospital administration. Thoughtful and reliable.
- HUP Host
- Days:Sunday-Saturday, 4-hour shift preferred.
- Duties: Greet hospital patients, visitors and staff at main entrance. Direct or escort visitors to hospital locations, hold open doors, assist in wheelchair retrieval, verbally engage visitors in waiting area to identify opportunities to improve the visitor experience, provide hospital information to visitors. Be a friendly face to make a positive first impression.
- Skills: Very outgoing and friendly. Capable of extensive standing or walking. Some light wheelchair pushing, previous experience with public helpful.
- Shadowing opportunities
- Reimbursement for costs associated with the volunteer application process
- Technical institute externships such as Medical Office Assistant/Billing, Phlebotomy, Coding, or any other clinical/business externship
The following positions are available to qualified candidates:
- The Cancer Boutique - Volunteers will help provide exceptional service to customers and patients with post-mastectomy products, wigs and gift items. Most customers are associated with or touched by breast cancer. The volunteer will also be responsible for assisting with light office work. No experience in a retail environment necessary, but the volunteer must be friendly, outgoing, and willing to learn. Volunteers with a certificate in mastectomy fitting would be ideal, but not necessary. The Boutique is looking to for help weekday mornings and/or afternoons.
- Coffee Cart Volunteer - Volunteer will serve free coffee to caregivers on patient floors. Must have be able to volunteer Tuesdays from approximately 1-4pm.
- Family Caregiver Center Volunteer - Create a gracious space by understanding the unique needs of each person entering the Center. Offer emotional support and active listening without judgment or bias. Assist caregivers as needed with internet searches, resource identification, escort to hospital locations, etc.
- Patient & Family Advisor - Promote patient and family centered care through participation in quality improvement initiatives. Act as the voice of the patient and caregiver when evaluating hospital programs. Share patient or caregiver experiences at HUP as a means to provide insight and guidance to hospital projects.
- HUP's Pups - Bring your Therapy Dogs International/Incorporated certified dog to visit with patients and staff. These four legged friends brighten the day and lift the spirits of all they encounter. Must have your own dog to volunteer.
- Friendly Visitor - Patient Visitor Volunteers will receive periodic invitations to sign-up to visit with patients who have requested a visitor. The volunteers may be asked to read, talk or play games with the patient. Patient Visitor volunteers may choose a schedule and patient request that fits their schedule and interests.
- No One Dies Alone - Be on-call at scheduled times to hold vigil for patients who are in the process of dying but may not have someone at their bedside.
The volunteer experience is designed to keep our patients, caregivers and staff safe while providing you with a meaningful, rewarding, and enriching experience. Please, carefully review the following steps before applying:
Step 1: Application and Letter of Recommendation
Complete an online volunteer application form.
Step 2: Application Review
Volunteer Services will review all applications and contact qualified applicants.
Step 3: Clearances & Interviews
Should a possible opportunity match your availability and interests, you will be asked to interview with hospital staff. You will be asked to provide documentation regarding your immunization and vaccine history prior to your interview or to be presented at the time of the interview. Documentation must include your vaccination and immunization history of:
- Measles, mumps and rubella (MMR)
- Varicella (chickenpox)
- Tuberculosis (PPD test or equivalent)
- Seasonal influenza
The complete list of immunization and screening requirements can be found on page 2 of the application checklist.
Step 4: Orientation
You will be invited to an orientation at HUP led by the Department of Volunteer Services.
Step 5: On-line Training
As per hospital policy, you will need to complete on-line training courses to familiarize you with hospital policy and regulations.
Step 6: Welcome Aboard!
If you are still interested in volunteering and believe you can complete the steps as outlined, you are invited to apply now.
Questions About Volunteering
Thank you for your interest in volunteering with us at The Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania. If you have any questions, please contact the Department of Volunteer Services at 215-662-2576 or firstname.lastname@example.org.