Thank you for your interest in becoming a volunteer at the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania. We believe the adult volunteers who work side-by-side with hospital personnel are a valued resource, often hard to find. The Volunteer Services Department's first priority is to find the appropriate assignment for you — one that is desired by you and fills a hospital need for assistance.
- Sincere interest in people and helping others
- Maturity and willingness to adhere to hospital policies and procedures
- Professional and positive attitude toward staff, patients and visitors
- Commitment to adhere to chosen schedule
- Commitment to the requested hours and schedule of your chosen assignment
- Application, background check, immunization/vaccination records
- Orientation prior to start date
- Must be 18 years or older
- A meaningful work experience
- An opportunity to meet new people and make new friends
- Annual volunteer appreciation and acknowledgement
- Free parking during your volunteer service
- Free hospital café voucher during your volunteer service
- Shadowing opportunities
- Reimbursement for costs associated with the volunteer application process
- Technical institute externships such as Medical Office Assistant/Billing, Phlebotomy, Coding, or any other clinical/business externship
The following positions are available to qualified candidates:
Courtesy Cart: Serve family members and visitors free beverages and snacks in our intensive care units. An ideal opportunity to volunteer with a friend or as part of a group.
Commitment: One scheduled shift per week in the afternoon or early evening. Rounds with the cart take approximately two hours.
Family Caregiver Center Volunteer: Create a gracious space by understanding the unique needs of each person entering the Center. Offer emotional support and active listening without judgment or bias. Assist caregivers as needed with internet searches, resource identification, escort to hospital locations, etc.
Commitment: One scheduled 4 hour shift per week; Monday to Friday availability only
Patient & Family Advisor: Promote patient and family centered care through participation in quality improvement initiatives. Act as the voice of the patient and caregiver when evaluating hospital programs. Share patient or caregiver experiences at HUP as a means to provide insight and guidance to hospital projects. Must have experience as a patient or a family caregiver to a patient who has been treated at HUP.
Commitment: Attend meetings the first Wednesday evening of the month and ad hoc committee work as available
HUP's Pups: Bring your certified therapy dog to visit with patients and staff. These four legged friends brighten the day and lift the spirits of all they encounter. Must have your own dog to volunteer. Must make commitment to one shift of volunteering per month.
Commitment: One visit per month
Friendly Visitor: Engage patients in their rooms by to reading, talking or playing games. Patient Visitor volunteers may choose a schedule that fits their schedule and interests.
Commitment: One scheduled shift per week; 2 hour shift minimum
Dialysis Support: Assist staff with administrative tasks and support operational needs of the unit while checking on dialysis patients. Shifts available Monday to Saturday from 1 to 3 pm.
Commitment: One shift per week
The volunteer experience is designed to keep our patients, caregivers and staff safe while providing you with a meaningful, rewarding, and enriching experience. Please, carefully review the following steps before applying:
- Step 1: Application
Complete an online volunteer application form.
- Step 2: Application Review
Volunteer Services will review all applications and contact qualified applicants. Due to the volume of applications received, Volunteer Services will amy not contact all applicants.
- Step 3: Interview
Should a possible opportunity match your availability and interests, you will be asked to interview with hospital staff.
Step 4: Clearances
Should a possible opportunity match your availability and interests, you will be asked to authorize a free-of-charge background check. You will also be asked to provide documentation regarding your immunization and vaccine history:
- Measles, mumps and rubella (MMR)
- Varicella (chickenpox)
- Tuberculosis (PPD test or equivalent)
- Seasonal influenza
View the application checklist for the complete list of immunization and screening requirements
- Step 5: Orientation & On-Line Training
You will be provided access to on-line training for HUP policy and safety procedures.
- Step 6: Department Orientation
You will come to HUP to train with the staff in your department, get your hospital ID.
- Step 7: Welcome Aboard!
If you are still interested in volunteering and believe you can complete the steps as outlined, you are invited to apply now.
Questions About Volunteering
Thank you for your interest in volunteering with us at The Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania. If you have any questions, please contact the Department of Volunteer Services at 215-662-2576 or email@example.com.