The Adult Volunteer Program at the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania welcomes community members who are 18 years of age and older the opportunity to help improve the hospital experience for patients, their families, caregivers and the hospital staff.
Thank you for your interest in becoming a volunteer at the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania. We believe the adult volunteers who work side-by-side with hospital personnel are a valued resource, often hard to find. The Volunteer Services Department's first priority is to find the appropriate assignment for you — one that is desired by you and fills a hospital need for assistance.
- Have a sincere interest in people and helping others
- Are mature and willing to adhere to hospital policies and procedures
- Have a professional and positive attitude about your commitment to the hospital, its patients and visitors
- Can commitment to at least one of the following:
- Four (4) hours of volunteer service each week for six (6) months
- Monthly attendance as a patient or caregiver representative for various hospital committees or councils
- Commitment to a minimum of four (4) hours each week for six months or monthly council or committee attendance
- Application, background check, immunization/vaccination records
- Orientation prior to start date
- Must be 18 years or older
- A meaningful work experience
- An opportunity to meet new people and make new friends
- Annual volunteer appreciation and acknowledgement
- Free parking during your volunteer service
- Free hospital café voucher during your volunteer service
- Shadowing opportunities
- Reimbursement for costs associated with the volunteer application process
- Technical institute externships such as Medical Office Assistant/Billing, Phlebotomy, Coding, or any other clinical/business externship
The following positions are available to qualified candidates:
- The Cancer Boutique - Volunteers will help provide exceptional service to customers and patients with post-mastectomy products, wigs and gift items. Most customers are associated with or touched by breast cancer. The volunteer will also be responsible for assisting with light office work. No experience in a retail environment necessary, but the volunteer must be friendly, outgoing, and willing to learn. Volunteers with a certificate in mastectomy fitting would be ideal, but not necessary. The Boutique is looking to for help weekday mornings and/or afternoons.
- Coffee Cart Volunteer - Volunteer will serve free coffee to caregivers on patient floors. Must be able to volunteer each Tuesday from approximately 1-4pm.
- Family Caregiver Center Volunteer - Create a gracious space by understanding the unique needs of each person entering the Center. Offer emotional support and active listening without judgment or bias. Assist caregivers as needed with internet searches, resource identification, escort to hospital locations, etc.
- Musician or Musicians On Call Guide - Play our keyboard or your instrument of choice in the hospital lobby or play our grand piano in the Perelman Center atrium. Volunteer to guide musicians to patient bedsides as part of the WXPN Musicians On Call program on Tuesday or Thursday evenings.
- Patient & Family Advisor - Promote patient and family centered care through participation in quality improvement initiatives. Act as the voice of the patient and caregiver when evaluating hospital programs. Share patient or caregiver experiences at HUP as a means to provide insight and guidance to hospital projects. Must have experience as a patient or a family caregiver to a patient who has been treated at HUP.
- HUP's Pups - Bring your certified therapy dog to visit with patients and staff. These four legged friends brighten the day and lift the spirits of all they encounter. Must have your own dog to volunteer.
- Friendly Visitor - Engage patients in their rooms by to reading, talking or playing games. Patient Visitor volunteers may choose a schedule that fits their schedule and interests.
- Post-Acute Care Unit Support - Welcome and assist patients, their families and visitors entering the unit. Volunteers working in this capacity answer questions, provide information and direct people to the hospital location or room they need, thus creating an atmosphere in the hospital that is caring, yet efficient. Support clinical staff with administrative support – assembling overnight packages, answer phones and maintain appearance of unit lounge among other duties as assigned. Extensive amount of time standing or walking during three to four hours shifts. Available shifts Tuesdays through Thursday between 9am and 3pm.
The volunteer experience is designed to keep our patients, caregivers and staff safe while providing you with a meaningful, rewarding, and enriching experience. Please, carefully review the following steps before applying:
Step 1: Application
Complete an online volunteer application form.
Step 2: Application Review
Volunteer Services will review all applications and contact qualified applicants. Due to the volume of applications received, Volunteer Services may not contact all applicants.
Step 3: Clearances & Interviews
Should a possible opportunity match your availability and interests, you will be asked to interview with hospital staff. You will be asked to authorize a free-of-charge background check. You will also be asked to provide documentation regarding your immunization and vaccine history prior to your interview or to be presented at the time of the interview. Documentation must include your vaccination and immunization history of:
- Measles, mumps and rubella (MMR)
- Varicella (chickenpox)
- Tuberculosis (PPD test or equivalent)
- Seasonal influenza
The complete list of immunization and screening requirements can be found on page 2 of the application checklist.
Step 4: Orientation
You will be invited to an orientation at HUP led by the Department of Volunteer Services.
Step 5: On-line Training
As per hospital policy, you will need to complete on-line training courses to familiarize you with hospital policy and regulations.
Step 6: Welcome Aboard!
If you are still interested in volunteering and believe you can complete the steps as outlined, you are invited to apply now.
Questions About Volunteering
Thank you for your interest in volunteering with us at The Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania. If you have any questions, please contact the Department of Volunteer Services at 215-662-2576 or firstname.lastname@example.org.