Penn Medicine has begun the construction of an underground tunnel connecting the future Pavilion to the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania (HUP). The construction is expected to last until November 2018.
The tunnel will extend across 33rd and 34th Streets at the location of the current HUP Emergency Department. It's designed to handle patient transport and materials management between the two buildings.
Every effort has been made to minimize the impact on everyday hospital operations. However, as a result of shifting traffic patterns, intermittent traffic disruption may occur.
Please note the following changes during the construction period:
- Two lanes of traffic southbound on 34th Street and one lane of traffic northbound on 33rd Street will be maintained.
- Penn Police and HUP Security will prohibit unauthorized stopping within active lanes from Spruce Street to Convention Avenue.
- The 33rd Street sidewalk will be closed from Convention Avenue to Penn Museum's Harrison Lot area. All pedestrians should cross at Civic Center Boulevard or Spruce Street.
- Uber and Lyft pick-ups and drop-offs will need to occur outside of the tunnel work zone.
View map of lane and sidewalk closures [PDF]
Everything else will operate normally, including:
- HUP Main Entrance Driveway drop-off, pick-up and valet parking
- Patient shuttle buses at the HUP Main Entrance Driveway
- Emergency Department arrivals by ambulance and walk-ins
If you have any questions regarding the Pavilion tunnel construction, please contact Penn police at 215-573-3333 or HUP security at 215-662-2677.