The Department of Family Medicine and Community Health at the University of Pennsylvania offers a diversity of faculty expertise. At present, we offer three fellowship opportunities.
Fellows are given options for specialty training. These include:
Family physicians are in a unique position to research the impact of disease at different life stages, to study how social relations and values shape health and disease, and to develop interventions to improve the health of individuals and populations. Yet the “law of inverse opportunity” holds — there is a dearth of well–trained family physician researchers.
Faculty Development Fellowship
The faculty development program is designed to train primary care researchers to make significant contributions to our nation's health and succeed in an increasingly complex, competitive, and demanding health system. Fellows are provided with the rigorous research training and multifaceted career mentoring they will need to compete for limited research funds and meet the demanding requirements of the rank and tenure system at research–oriented universities. Penn expects its graduates to be role models for students making specialty choices, and for residents who are considering careers in primary care research.
Fellows will be involved in the design, proposal, and implementation of projects of every size. Fellows will have access to mentors, data sets, projects, and programs throughout the University. With this environment and the Department of Family Medicine and Community Health's commitment to providing high–quality health care to medically underserved populations, we expect that many fellows will become leaders in primary care research.
Fellows will have career and research mentoring by faculty in Family Medicine and Community Health, the program's interdisciplinary advisory board, and faculty throughout the University.
Contact for the Faculty Development Fellowship
Peter Cronholm, MD, MSCE
Department of Family Medicine and Community Health
2 Gates, Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania
3400 Spruce Street
Philadelphia, PA 19104–4283
Primary Care Sports Medicine Fellowship
The University of Pennsylvania, Division of Sports Medicine in the Department of Orthopedic Surgery and the Department of Family Medicine and Community Health is pleased to offer a one year Primary Care Sports Medicine Fellowship opportunity in Philadelphia. This PCSM fellowship will be open to all primary care residents, including family medicine, internal medicine, pediatrics, and emergency medicine. The fellowship has one position per year. The fellowship offers a comprehensive, balanced experience including care for athletes of all ages and levels of competition.
Program highlights include:
- Division I Athletic Coverage – The fellow will serve as a team physician for the University of Pennsylvania; a Division I athletic program with over 30 varsity sports.
- Professional Sports - Exposure to the Philadelphia Eagles and Philadelphia Flyers through Dr. Gary Dorshimer, who serves as team physician for both organizations.
- Pediatric Sports Medicine Training at CHOP - including significant time with non-operative sports medicine faculty and comprehensive concussion management training at the Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia
- Mass participation events – Fellow will serve as an associate medical director for the Penn Relays Track and Field Carnival, Philadelphia Love Run ½ marathon, and the Tri-Rock Philadelphia Triathlon
- Comprehensive didactics and curriculum including time with multiple specialists including:
- musculoskeletal radiology including musculoskeletal ultrasound with two board-certified msk U/S specialists
- non-operative spine care with faculty from the Penn Spine Center
- foot and ankle surgery
- hand surgery
- elbow and shoulder surgery
- Rahul Kapur, MD, CAQSM
- Gary W. Dorshimer, MD, FACP, CAQSM
- James Carey, MD, MPH
- Arsh Dhanota, MD, CAQSM
- Brian Sennett, MD
- Miltiadis Zgonis, MD
The application deadline is October 1, annually. Applications are accepted ONLY through ERAS. For questions, contact:
3737 Market Street, 9th Floor
Philadelphia, PA 19104