Training Background/Current Position
- Komen Postdoctoral Fellow, University of Pennsylvania (2017 - present)
- Postdoctoral Researcher, University of Pennsylvania (2014 - 2017 )
- Scholar visitor, Ecole Centrale de Paris (Feb. - July 2014)
- Ph.D. Biomedical Engineering, National Technical University of Athens (2009 - 2014)
- Diploma of Electrical and Computer Engineering (5-year educational program), National Technical University of Athens (2004 - 2009)
Computational imaging phenotypes of breast cancer risk with digital mammography and digital breast tomosynthesis
- Conant EM, Keller B, Pantalone L, Gastounioti A, McDonald ES, Kontos D. “Agreement between breast percent density estimation from standard versus synthetic digital mammograms: results from a large screening cohort using automated measures,” Radiology, 283(3): 673-680, 2017. Featured in RSNA Weekly.
- Gastounioti A, Cohen E, Hsieh M, Pantalone L, Conant EF, Kontos D. "Mammographic phenotypes of breast cancer risk driven by breast anatomy," SPIE Medical Imaging, Orlando, FL, USA, February 11-16, 2017. Featured in the “Keynote and Reviewers’ Choice Session” as one of the two highest-scored conference papers.
- Gastounioti A, Conant EF, Kontos D. "Beyond breast density: a review on the advancing role of parenchymal texture analysis in breast cancer risk assessment," Breast Cancer Research, 18(1): 91, 2016.
- Gastounioti A, Oustimov A, Keller BM, Pantalone L, Hsieh MK, Conant EF, Kontos D. "Breast parenchymal patterns in processed versus raw digital mammograms: A large population study towards assessing differences in quantitative measures across image representations," Med Phys, 43(11): 5862-5877, 2016.
- Gastounioti A, Hsieh M, Pantalone L, Cohen E, Conant EF, Kontos D. "Standard-dose versus synthetic digital mammograms: Are there differences in automated measurements of breast parenchymal patterns?," RSNA 103rd Scientific Assembly and Annual Meeting, McCormick Place, Chicago, IL, USA, November 26 – December 1, 2017. (to appear)
Complete List of Published Work:
Grants and Awards
- Komen Postdoctoral Fellowship (2017-2020)
- Travelling award, 2016 RSNA “Introduction to Academic Radiology for Scientists” Program
- IEEE EMB Greece Chapter award for the publication Gastounioti et al. IEEE JBHI 2014
- Scholarship from the Hellenic State Scholarships Foundation for "short-term scholar visits in reputed scientific/research centres" (2014)
- Scholarship from the Hellenic State Scholarships Foundation for PhD Studies (2010 – 2014)
- Grants from the Institute of Communication and Computer Systems of the National Technical University of Athens for PhD Studies (2010, 2012)
- Award by the Thomaideio Foudation of the National Technical University of Athens for the publications Gastounioti et al. IOP Measurement Science and Technology 2011 and Gastounioti et al. IEEE International Ultrasonics Symposium 2012
- "Τοuramanoglou" endowment scholarship for undergraduate studies (2004)