The Pulmonary, Allergy and Critical Care Division is committed to advancing medicine by setting the highest standards for professional education, biomedical research and patient care.
At the University of Pennsylvania, specialization in pulmonary medicine dates back to the early 20th century when tuberculosis dominated the field. Robert Mayock, MD founded the modern Division in 1952. He wrote the classic clinical description of sarcoidosis and established one of the first two-year fellowship training programs in pulmonary medicine.
Under the leadership of Julius Comroe, MD, Penn physicians pioneered the clinical application of pulmonary function testing. In the 1960's, Robert Rogers, MD launched one of the nation's first respiratory intensive care units at the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania. A decade later, Alfred Fishman, MD established one of the first NIH-funded Specialized Centers of Research in respiratory medicine at Penn.
Over the years, the Division has expanded to include critical care, allergy and immunology, and sleep as well as pulmonary medicine. Today, nearly 40 faculty and 20 fellows work at four hospitals in central Philadelphia, an outpatient satellite facility in Radnor, Pennsylvania, and the Medical School's newest biomedical research building on the campus of the former Philadelphia General Hospital.
The Division's $20 million operating budget is supported equally by clinical revenues and by extramural research funding, including three NIH institutional fellowship training grants. As in the beginning, Penn shares a common commitment to scientifically-based, humanistic health care and to life-long, professional self-education within a close-knit community of academic clinicians and scholars.