The Patient Service Associate Excellence Academy is a training program fully dedicated to teaching best practices needed to become a successful Patient Service Associate within Penn Medicine's Access (Call) Center. The role of a Patient Service Associate is one that demands a combination of compassion, exemplary customer service, and skill in order to make each patient's experience at Penn Medicine a positive one.
Providing Compassionate, Customer-Focused Patient Care
The Patient Service Associate Excellence Academy (Access Center) is a 5-week program that is dedicated to developing the most understanding, customer focused and compassionate individuals to work as Patient Service Associates within Penn Medicine’s Access (Call) Center.
When a patient calls to schedule an appointment, he or she is likely going through a difficult experience. Patients call feeling an array of emotions, from concerned to confused, and the job of the Patient Service Associate is to be their guide through the patient registration, scheduling and care process, providing them the personalized attention and direction they need. Our highly selective Patient Service Associate Excellence Academy (Access Center) is looking for individuals with the right combination of compassion, customer service, and skill and who are willing to commit to a program that will prepare them with the additional knowledge they will need to be successful as a Patient Service Associate at Penn Medicine. If you are that individual who has an exceptional customer service orientation, who is eager to learn, ideally some call center background, and who has a passion for helping others, then ask yourself, why not you?
Learning by Doing
The Patient Service Associate Excellence Academy (Access Center) is committed to developing high-quality Patient Service Associates.
Trainees will be educated through a variety of methods including in-class lectures, computer programs, and video clips. These lessons will cover a variety of skills you will need to develop as a Patient Service Associate including:
- EPIC APM training
- Medical terminology
- Telephone protocols
- Point of service processes
- Professional standards of conduct
- Extensive training in patient service excellence
The majority of your time as an Excellence Academy Trainee will be spent observing full-time Patient Service Associates on the job within the Access Center. While apprenticing, you will be able to learn from their best practices, unique skills, as well as from their patient interactions. Being in the health care call center service environment will provide you with baseline knowledge of the Penn Medicine health system that will be valuable to you after you graduate from the program and seek to build a career within the organization.
- High School diploma or GED
- Associates Degree or higher preferred
- Health Care education a plus
- Excellent customer service skills and high level of professionalism
- Minimum of 2 years’ experience in a Health Care environment preferred
- Prior call center experience dealing with patients or customers a plus
- Critical thinking – the ability to analyze and solve problem
- Knowledge of third party insurance coverage guidelines preferable
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Basic computer knowledge and skills required (Microsoft Word, Excel, Internet Explorer, etc.)
- Must successfully complete a Certified Appointment Scheduling and Registration Certification Program (part of training).
- Upon receipt of application, you will receive an assessment via e-mail if it’s decided you meet the minimum qualifications.