Philadelphia is unique. Often referred to as 'the birthplace of American democracy,' it occupies a special place in American history. And beyond its historical sites and stately manors, Philadelphia is a city of people — all who've chosen to make this their home for many reasons.
The City's Offerings
The city and its suburbs have a lot to offer:
- A blending of different cultures and colorful neighborhoods
- Gourmet dining and fabulous shopping
- Community- and family-centered activities
- The third largest downtown residential population in the United States
- Excellent schools and a thriving economy
- Diverse and affordable housing choices, from colonial row houses to mainline mansions to new suburban dwellings
- World-class medical care
- One of the highest-quality urban and suburban lifestyles in the country
- One of America's most walkable cities
- Close proximity to Washington D.C., New York City, the Pocono Mountains of Pennsylvania and the Jersey shore
- Four-seasons outdoor activities
- Outstanding colleges and educational resources
- Professional sports teams
- Waterfront activities and more…
Learn more about Philadelphia living by visiting these Web sites:
- City of Philadelphia — The official Web site of the city government offers a wealth of information about city services, licenses and permits, utilities and city-wide initiatives.
- Visitors' Guide to Greater Philadelphia — Provides information on arts and culture venues, restaurants, hotels and lodging and historic sites in the city and the five-county metropolitan area.
- Philadelphia Convention and Visitors Site — Offers information and resources for visitors, meeting planners and the hospitality industry, including tips on shopping, walking tours and a guide to the city's distinctive neighborhoods.
The Philadelphia region is one of the most diverse cities in America, rich in European, Asian, Native American, African American and Hispanic cultural and ethnic traditions.
Vendors found within referenced links are not being endorsed by Penn Medicine.