Massage is a hands-on therapy using light or rigorous touch, strokes, stretching, tapping, deep circular movements, vibrations or application of pressure. The intensity and application of the techniques are adjusted to meet your needs and preferences, and to keep you safe and comfortable.
Benefits of Massage
Many people report that massage helps:
- Create a calm and positive atmosphere
- Ease transition
- Energize and rejuvenate the mind and body
- Increase relaxation
- Promote feelings of peace, wellness, and balance
- Provide additional nurturing and support
- Reduce anxiety
- Relieve pain and discomfort
- Relieve some of the side effects of conventional treatment
- Relieve stress
More about Massage
You can always choose whether or not to receive massage. Participation is completely up to you.
- All massage sessions are adjusted to avoid possible contraindication or harm; you should speak with your practitioner about conditions or issues you may be experiencing that could impact the complementary therapy.
- Massage therapy is performed by qualified practitioners at no charge. To make an appointment, talk to the nursing staff on the unit. Sessions last from 10 to 60 minutes, and are offered two days a week.
- You are in complete control of the sessions; deciding if and where you want to be touched.
- Your comfort is the top priority.
The Abramson Cancer Center offers shiatsu therapy as a form of regaining strength and function for patients undergoing chemotherapy, radiation therapy, or for those who are experiencing an extended illness.
This popular contemporary therapy is based in traditional Chinese medicine (TCM). The three major branches of TCM are Asian bodywork therapies (ABT), acupuncture and Chinese herbs. Similar to acupuncture, shiatsu focuses on treating the patient's bio-energetic system by applying finger and hand pressure to the body's energy channels (meridians) and the acupoints.
The goal of shiatsu therapy is to shift the imbalances within that bio-energetic system back into a state of balance, which enhances the ability of the body, mind and spirit to care for itself. Aside from being a pleasant experience, the benefits of shiatsu include:
- Decreasing stress, anxiety, fear, frustration, depression and anger
- Easing symptoms such as nausea/vomiting, aches/pains, and fatigue
- Reestablishing a positive and healthy relationship with one's body
- Stimulation of the body's natural healing capacity
- Strengthening the immune system
A session begins with questions about your health history, illness and symptoms. A Chinese medicine assessment reveals the condition of your energy system and guides the shiatsu treatment. Most treatments are given in a massage chair, unless there are limitations. You remain clothed during a shiatsu treatment.