This light and refreshing salad delivers more than a serving of fruits and vegetables it also provides cancer and cold fighting properties too. One pear provides ¼ of the recommended daily value of fiber per day, which can help protect against colorectal cancer.
Honey acts as a prebiotic in the large intestine which supports gastrointestinal health as well as aids calcium absorption. Last but not least, mint and cinnamon contain anti-microbial and anti-inflammatory properties making this the perfect side to ward off colds.
Chicken and Pear Salad with Mint Dressing
- 3 firm ripe pears, cut into 1-inch cubes
- Juice of ½ of a lemon
- 2 cups of cooked chicken breast, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 cucumber, peeled, sliced thin and coarsely chopped
- 4 tbsp, red onion, finely chopped
- ¼ cup white vinegar or white wine vinegar
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 to 2 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/3 cup minced fresh mint
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 4 large lettuce leaves
1. Drizzle fresh cubed pears with lemon juice. In a large mixing bowl combine pears, chicken, cucumber, and onion and set aside
2. Blend vinegar, lemon juice, honey, mint, salt and pepper in food processor/blender until smooth
3. Pour dressing over salad and toss gently to coat all the ingredients. To serve, re-toss gently, sprinkle with cinnamon and arrange on plates with beds of lettuce
Per serving: 260 calories, 6 g total fat (<1 g saturated fat), 31 g carbohydrate, 23 g protein, 5 g dietary fiber, 131 mg sodium.