- 1 cup uncooked wheat berries
- * Look for wheat berries in the health food or bulk food sections of your local grocery store. To save time cook up a large batch of wheat berries and then freeze them for future use. 1 cup uncooked makes about 2 cups cooked.
- 6 cups water
- 1 1/2 cups broccoli florets
- 5 medium chopped scallions
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and diced
- 1 can (15-16 oz) garbanzo beans (also called chick peas) rinsed and drained
- 1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp. olive, canola or sesame seed oil
- 1 tbsp. chopped fresh or 1 tsp. crushed dry basil leaves
- 1/4 tsp. paprika
- Dash of salt
- 1 clove garlic, minced
Heat wheat berries and water to boiling point, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 50-60 minutes. Wheat berries should be tender, but still firm. Drain remaining water from wheat berries and let cool. Combine dressing ingredients in a tightly lidded or covered container and shake to combine. Toss all salad ingredients together to mix. Add dressing to salad and toss to coat salad. Chill for one hour in refrigerator and serve cold. If using frozen wheat berries, salad does not need to be chilled. Instead, serve immediately.
Makes 4 servings as a main dish, 8 servings as a side dish.
Per serving (main dish):
350 calories; 56g carbohydrates; 16g protein; 7g fat; 13g fiber
Per serving (side dish):
175 calories; 28g carbohydrates; 8g protein; 3.5g fat; 6.5g fiber