Penn Medicine's Abramson Cancer Center is home to research-oriented basic and clinical departments and divisions that form the backbone of the Abramson Cancer Center. Our clinical teams are comprised of members from various disciplines who share the goal of improving the future of cancer care through cancer-focused research, interdisciplinary programs, and comprehensive patient services.
The departments and divisions that have made major contributions to our understanding and treatment of cancer are:
- The Division of Colon and Rectal Surgery: Our prime focus at the Division of Colon and Rectal Surgery is the diagnosis and treatment of diseases and ailments arising in the anus, rectum, and large bowel (colon). Our colorectal surgeons are recognized nationally and internationally for their clinical and scientific contributions.
- The Department of Dermatology: At the Department of Dermatology, we offer a world-renowned program in hair follicle biology and skin regeneration and conduct leading skin cancer research. In addition, we have taken an early initiative in conducting skin microbiome research, a newer area of study in dermatologic research.
- The Division of Endocrine and Oncologic Surgery: At the Division of Endocrine and Oncologic Surgery (EOS), we offer surgical expertise by nationally recognized and highly trained surgeons for patients with a wide variety of malignant tumors.
- The Department of Gastroenterology: The Department of Gastroenterology provides leading-edge care and clinical research for people with a variety of digestive, liver and pancreatic disorders. We are at the forefront of GI patient care, education and research.
- The Division of Gastrointestinal Surgery: The Division of Gastrointestinal Surgery provides comprehensive care for diseases of the gastrointestinal tract (esophagus, stomach, small intestine and colon), pancreas and liver.
- The Division of Medical Genetics: The Division of Medical Genetics offers diagnostic evaluation, medical management and genetic counseling for patients with known or suspected genetic disorders. Our team has expertise in specific genetic disorders or groups of disorders.
- The Division of Gynecologic Oncology: The Division of Gynecologic Oncology serves as a major referral center for the diagnosis and treatment of patients with premalignant or invasive cancers of the female genital tract. Our gynecologic oncologists work closely with radiation oncologists, medical oncologists, radiologists, and pathologists to provide the best possible treatment outcomes.
- The Division of Hematology/Oncology: Our Hematology/ Oncology Division provides the most advanced hematology and medical oncology care available today. This comprehensive program is dedicated to the research, diagnosis, and treatment of all types of cancers and blood-related disorders.
- Penn Medicine at Home: Our Home Care and Hospice Services offers a full range of home health care needs by partnering three home health care services under one roof—Penn Wissahickon Hospice, Penn Care at Home and Penn Home Infusion Therapy.
- The Division of Interventional Radiology: Interventional Radiology utilizes the most advanced technology available to perform image-guided procedures to treat a wide variety of diseases throughout the body. Our renowned program is one of the largest in the country and provides services at a variety of locations throughout the Philadelphia area.
- The Department of Neurology: Established in 1871, the Department of Neurology is the oldest of its kind in the country, having pioneered essential treatments and neurodiagnostic techniques in the field. We diagnose and treat patients with the full spectrum of basic and complex neurological disorders.
- The Penn Medicine Neuroscience Center: The Penn Medicine Neuroscience Center (PMNC) is dedicated to the advancement of our understanding of the brain, spine and peripheral nervous system. We develop effective treatments and therapies for disorders affecting these areas using a multidisciplinary approach with the dedication and expertise of scientists from many fields of research.
The Department of Neurosurgery: One of the first neurosurgery programs in the country, we provide comprehensive surgical management of disorders of the brain, spinal cord and peripheral nervous system.
- The Department of Otorhinolaryngology—Head and Neck Surgery: The Department of Otorhinolaryngology provides expert diagnosis and treatment of ear, nose and throat disorders, as well as conditions in the head and neck area.
- Penn Pain Medicine: As one of the leading pain management medicine centers in the Philadelphia region, the Penn Pain Medicine Center is a renowned resource for patients with complex pain problems. Our team of physicians, nurses and health care professionals are trained in many aspects of pain medicine and offer unique resources to provide integrated health care to patients.
Palliative Care: Our palliative care program provides comprehensive medical and holistic supportive services to patients of all ages and at any stage of a serious illness. We are building the future of palliative care by conducting innovative research and educating the next generation of leaders.
- The Department of Pathology: Penn's Department of Pathology performs translational and basic-science research and has a national reputation as one of the leading, fully integrated academic departments of its kind. Research areas of interests include bioinformatics, biomarker discovery, cancer biology, cardiovascular pathobiology, developmental, stem cell, and regenerative biology, diabetes, experimental therapeutics, gene therapy and vaccines, to name a few.
- The Department of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation: Penn Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation (PM&R) provides a wide spectrum of inpatient and outpatient clinical services that work to improve the quality of life and foster independence for patients living with all types of disabilities. The department provides cancer rehabilitation by addressing the unique needs of patients experiencing symptoms as a result of cancer or cancer treatments.
- The Division of Plastic Surgery: The Division of Plastic Surgery provides a complete range of reconstructive and cosmetic surgery services dedicated to the treatment of appearance. As recognized leaders in education, research and clinical outcomes, our team is dedicated to offering our patients the most effective and current surgical techniques.
- The Department of Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine: Penn's Paul F. Harron Jr. Lung Center offers comprehensive care for lung disease. With specialists in pulmonary and critical care medicine, thoracic surgery, lung pathology, and chest radiology working together under one roof, patients have immediate access to the most innovative approaches to diagnosis and treatment.
- The Department of Radiation Oncology: The Radiation Oncology Department is dedicated to a three-part mission of excellence in patient care, basic and translational research, and the education of residents and students. Our Radiation Oncology Department is one of the most comprehensive radiation oncology programs in the world.
- The Department of Radiology: The Department of Radiology is a highly specialized, full-service department, which strives to meet all patient and clinician needs in diagnostic imaging and image-guided therapies.
- The Surgical Oncology Department: Our surgical oncology department offers surgical expertise along with multidisciplinary care for patients with a wide variety of benign and malignant tumors. This multidisciplinary program is committed to achieving outstanding patient outcomes today and to improving the future of care through our extensive research efforts.
- The Division of Thoracic Surgery: Surgeons in the Division of Thoracic Surgery are skilled in a variety of specialized techniques including procedures that range from lung transplant to tracheal surgery. We perform nearly four times as many lung transplants as any other hospital in the Philadelphia region. We remain the only center in the region with an entire group of cardiothoracic surgeons dedicated to the non-cardiac side of the specialty.
- The Division of Transplant Surgery: Since our first successful kidney transplant at the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania in 1966, The Division of Transplantation Surgery at Penn has led the region in the total number of transplants performed and is ranked among the top 10 multi-organ transplant centers in the country.
- The Division of Urology: The Division of Urology is a national leader in clinical research, education, and the latest advancements in patient care for urologic conditions. Our urologists are experts in providing the latest minimally invasive treatments that produce excellent outcomes, enhance the quality of our patient's lives, and result in minimal recovery times.