Learn more about our approach to quality and patient care.
At Penn Medicine, we are committed to maintaining our reputation as a world-leading institution in patient care. Together we believe that serving patient needs is best accomplished with a well-structured, well-integrated patient care approach. We are continuously raising the bar and setting system-wide goals to ensure we meet the demands of the future. Presently, all departments within Penn Medicine are working towards the goal of eliminating preventable deaths and preventable 30-day readmissions. Both goals are strong indicators of quality care.
Understanding the Blueprint for Quality and Patient Safety
To eliminate preventable deaths and 30-day readmissions, Penn Medicine has developed a Blueprint for Quality and Patient Safety representing an unprecedented commitment to quality improvement and patient safety. The blueprint includes many musts, including the promise to always deliver patient and family-centered care and to always ensure a seamless transition in a patient’s care throughout the organization.
There are five imperatives to the blueprint. They are:
- Increase accountability that spans all areas of Penn
- Increase patient and family involvement in all patient care related areas
- Continue to improve coordination of care processes ensuring seamless transition of care
- Reduce unnecessary variations in care
- Strengthen organizational capacity for continuous improvement