The lung transplant program at the Penn Transplant Institute performs lung transplantation for patients with advanced lung diseases such as emphysema, and cystic fibrosis. Since the inception of the program, nearly 800 successful lung transplants have been performed.
Surgeons at Penn have significantly improved the lives of hundreds of patients, having performed more than double the number of lung transplants than any other transplant program in the Philadelphia region.
The Benefits of Choosing Penn for Lung Transplant
The lung transplant program at Penn is dedicated to providing only the highest quality of care to patients and their families throughout the lung transplant process. Patients can take comfort in knowing that they can expect excellent results with survival rates that consistently meet or exceed the national average.
Patient benefits from:
- The most experienced physicians in the nation
- Research programs that keep Penn at the forefront of new developments, allowing patients to receive access to the most progressive treatments and clinical trials
- Individualized care from a multidisciplinary team that includes pulmonologists, cardiothoracic surgeons, nurse practitioners, radiologists, and physical and respiratory therapists
- Counseling services from dedicated financial counselors and social workers
- Penn's contract with all major insurance providers and the ability to negotiate individual contracts when needed
- A streamlined referral process and standard three-day patient evaluation, designed to safely and efficiently move patients through the transplant listing process
Beyond excellent medical care, Penn offers lung transplant patients and their families the highest level of hospitality, including the Clyde F. Barker Penn Transplant House, a beautiful, modern guest house providing accommodation for patients, their families and caregivers.
Request a Consultation
The lung transplant program is located at the Perelman Center for Advanced Medicine at the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania. To request a consultation or speak with a healthcare professional from the lung transplant program complete the request an appointment form or call 800-789-PENN (7366). To find out if you are a candidate for a lung transplant, please see Penn Medicine's patient selection criteria.