Clyde F. Barker Penn Transplant House A guest house for transplant patients, families and caregivers
To make a reservation, please call 215-662-4540.
For many transplant patients, the good news of a life-saving organ match is accompanied by feelings of uncertainty and a whole new set of challenges, especially if they are traveling to receive care. To accommodate these patients, the Penn Transplant Institute offers the Clyde F. Barker Penn Transplant House, a convenient guest house for transplant patients and their families and caregivers.
Named for Penn's world-renowned transplant surgeon, Clyde F. Barker, MD, this new facility was designed and built entirely through the generosity of private donations. For a nominal cost, patients can enjoy homelike accommodations including sun-filled living space and a central courtyard.
Congratulations to the Clyde F. Barker Transplant House, recipient of a special mention from the 2013 Architizer A+ Award. The annual architectural honor is in recognition of the world's best buildings and design thinking.
Clyde F. Barker Penn Transplant House
3940 Spruce Street
Philadelphia, PA 19104
The Penn Transplant House is conveniently located at 3940 Spruce Street, just a few blocks from the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania. The house is not a medical facility, but rather a small guest house designed to meet the unique needs of transplant patients and their families and caregivers.
- Sleeping rooms that can accommodate up to four adults—all have adjoining private bath
- Kitchen facilities where multiple families can prepare meals
- Communal dining room
- Computers and Internet access
- Laundry room
- Family room where families can enjoy watching TV, reading or playing games
- Fitness room for exercise and stress relief
- Education center—a space devoted to underscoring the importance of educating patients and families about self-care, a core value of the Penn Transplant Institute
- Nearby shopping and restaurants
- Parking and Transportation
Upon arrival, guests will register at the Penn Transplant House where they can park behind the house and unload their belongings. Once their belongings are settled, guests can park their car at Penn Tower Garage, located directly across the street from the main entrance of the Hospital of the University Pennsylvania. There is no additional parking fee; the cost of the parking space at Penn Tower garage is included in the room charge.
It is a short, four-block walk from the hospital and Penn Tower Garage to the Penn Transplant House. However, for guests who require transportation SEPTA buses and the LUCY shuttle run regularly, and taxi cabs are available. The staff at the house will provide guests with detailed information about parking and transportation upon check-in.
To be eligible to stay at the Penn Transplant House, patients must permanently reside beyond a 50-mile radius of the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania. For family members and caregivers, the patient must be undergoing some phase of transplant care. Caregivers must be at least 18 years of age, and all children under the age of 18 must be accompanied by an adult.
The Penn Transplant House will make every effort to accommodate patients and their families and caregivers. Availability will be based on a first come, first served basis, however, acute need as determined by the transplant team will be given priority and some reservations will be accepted. Please note that only one room per patient/family/caregiver combination is allowed, and the number of individuals in each sleeping room is based on occupancy limitation set by the Penn Transplant House.
The cost per night to stay at the Penn Transplant House varies depending upon the unique needs of each patient. Payment is accepted at time of check-in via cash, personal check, Visa, MasterCard or American Express. For more information or to make a reservation, please call 215-662-4540.
- Volunteer Opportunities
Volunteering at the Clyde F Barker Penn Transplant House is an opportunity to share your time and talent with our patients and families who are so grateful for the warmth and hospitality that we offer.
Consider joining with some friends to make a meal through our Guest Chefs program. We have an incredibly well-equipped kitchen—what could be better than making a meal and sharing it?
Or, how about offering some hours per month to support our staff in the many tasks required to keep our house running?
If interested in helping out, contact house manager, Kirsten King at firstname.lastname@example.org or 215-662-4540.
- Giving Opportunities
The Penn Transplant House relies on the generosity of individuals, community organizations, foundations and corporations to support its services and programs. Gifts can be made by individuals or as part of a combined effort, and pledges of $5,000 or more are payable over five years. There are prominent public spaces and guest rooms available for naming in the House.
To make a gift, please visit thesecure online form. You may also make a check payable to "Trustees of the University of Pennsylvania" and send to:
Penn Medicine Development and Alumni Relations
3535 Market Street, Suite 750
Philadelphia, PA 19104
In addition, you may donate specific items to help us transform the space from a house to a home.
- View the Transplant House Wish List
- Bathroom scales (12—one per guest room)
- Bellman's luggage cart
- Magazine and newspaper subscriptions (Lifetime, Newsweek, National Geographic, Martha Stewart, etc.)
- Playstation 3 with four controllers and games
- Quilts (twin or queen-size beds, in neutral, solid color or paisley print)
- Pottery Barn: Kennedy Patchwork Quilt & Shams
- Pottery Barn: Malin Patchwork Quilt & Shams
- Pottery Barn: Claire Patchwork Quilt & Shams
- Pottery Barn: Pick-Stitch Quilt and Shams (porcelain blue and flagstone)
- Aluminum foil — heavy duty, large rolls
- Non-stick baking sheets — Wilton or Calphalon
- Cake/cupcake storage containers — Rubbermaid
- Coffee mugs — Pier 1 ImportsMetallic Geo Mug Set
- Dish racks (3) — Polder Model KTH-615, four-piece advantage dish rack system
- Disposable coffee cups with lids—Dixie or Solo brands
- KitchenAid black box graters with storage (3)
- Knife sharpener — Chef's Choice Hybrid 250 Diamond Hone
- Madesmart expandable cutlery storage
- Pyrex Storage Plus 20-piece container set with color lids
- Liquid measuring cups
- Heavy-duty Saran Wrap
- Serving dishes (large bowls and platters) — Pottery Barn, Crate & Barrel, etc (neutral/ earth tones, and various sizes)
- Toaster — Frigidaire Widemouth Professional, two or four-slot
- Tongs, basting brush, cooking thermometer, etc.
- Wire cooling racks
- Zip-lock bags
- Nightlights for guest room bathrooms (12) — Forever Glo LED Nite Lite
- Hampers (12) — collapsible, cotton, 12”x 12”x 30”
If you have any questions about the wish list, please contact house manager, Kirsten King, at 215.662.4540 or Kirsten.King@uphs.upenn.edu. Donations can be delivered directly to the Clyde F. Barker Penn Transplant House at 3940 Spruce Street, Philadelphia, PA 19104.
Penn Transplant House Virtual Tour
Flash player version 9.0 is required to view this video. Visit the Flash player website to install the plugin.